David Hale (economist)
David D Hale
Vermont, United States
David D. Hale (United States, November 22, 1951 – October 19, 2015) is an American economist and author. He is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations, and a recipient of the William F Butler Award from the National Association for Business Economics. Hale holds a B.Sc. degree in international economic affairs from the Georgetown University School of Foreign Service and a M.Sc. degree in economic history from the London School of Economics.
David Hale was born in Vermont, USA. He is married to Lyric Hughes Hale, an American entrepreneur who founded China Online. They live in Winnetka, USA, with their five children. He died in Chicago 10/19/2015.
Hale is known for his work in macro-economic analysis and policy. He was a global economist for Kemper Financial Services, Zurich Financial Services and the Commonwealth Bank of Australia. He lectures at the World Economic Forum, the Fortune Global CEO Conference, and the National Association of Governors. Hale has testified before U.S. congressional committees on domestic and international economic policy issues; has advised the US Department of Defense, and conducted briefings for senior officials in the executive branch, including former President George W. Bush.
Hale is a contributor to the Wall Street Journal, the Financial Times, the New York Times, the Nihon Keizai Shimbun, the Australian Financial Review, Harvard Business Review, Foreign Affairs,Foreign Policy, National Interest and Central Banking. Hale is a regular guest on radio and television programs, in Europe, Asia, Australia and the United States
Memberships and awards
Hale is a member of the National Association for Business Economics, New York Society of Security Analysts, National Business Economics Issue Council, Academic Advisory Board of the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, and Competitive Markets Advisory Council of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. He is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations in New York and Chicago, and member of the Australian American Leadership Dialogue. In September 1990, the New York chapter of the National Association of Business Economists conferred upon Hale, the William F. Butler Award, for making ‘an outstanding contribution to the field’. Other recipients have included Paul Volcker, Geoffrey Moore, Lawrence Klein, Alan Greenspan, and Otto Eckstein.
- What’s Next: Unconventional Wisdom on the Future of the World Economy. David Hale and Lyric Hughes Hale. 2011. Yale University Press. ISBN 9780300170313.
- Membership of Council of Foreign Relations: http://www.cfr.org/about/membership/roster.html?letter=H
- William F Butler Award: http://www.nyabe.org/awards.htm
- Lyric Hughes profile http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lyric-hughes-hale/
- ABC Lateline: David Hale China's rise and global perspective http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2013/s3943580.htm
- Bank of England governor warned of tough times to David Hale. BBC. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10091952
- David Hale Profile. http://www.bigspeak.com/david-hale.html
- Institute for Strategic Studies: http://www.iiss.org/events-calendar/2011-events-archive/september-2011/the-american-economy-and-global-order/
- Aspen Ideas Festival. http://www.aspenideas.org/speaker/david-hale
- Harvard Business School Club of Chicago. http://www.hbsclubchicago.org/article.html?aid=320
- Denver Gold brings world-renowned economist: https://www.cnbc.com/id/49271956/Denver_Gold_Group_Brings_World_Renowned_Global_Economist_to_Colorado_David_Hale_will_present_a_post_election_forecast_presentation_at_the_Grand_Hyatt_Pinnacle_Club_Denver
- U.S. Government Hearings biographies: http://www.uscc.gov/hearings/2001_02hearings/bios/halebio.htm
- Currency revaluation? Foreign Affairs:http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/63046/david-d-hale-and-lyric-hughes-hale/reconsidering-revaluation
- Central Banking http://www.centralbanking.com/central-banking-journal/review/2153866/book-notes-whats-unconventional-wisdom-future-world-economy
- Austerity warning from US Economist:https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/austerity-warning-american-economist-david-218036
- Bank of England governor warning to US economist. https://www.theguardian.com/business/2010/apr/29/mervyn-king-warns-election-victor
- Lessons for Greece. Financial Times. http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/2b786e40-2700-11df-8c08-00144feabdc0.html#axzz298o7myTu/
- Hale discusses Hong Kong Dollar. Bloomberg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5viiBBHguVI/
- David Hale joins ABC’s Lateline.http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2011/s3177190.htm
- Hale delivers warning. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/terry-mccranns-column/uncertain-winds-blow-across-the-global-economy/story-e6frfig6-1226029671084
- Hanging by a thread. Hale on economy. http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/political-news/hanging-by-a-thread-20120511-1yi4v.html
- Foreign Affairs. China Takes Off. David Hale and Lyric Hughes http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/59365/david-hale-and-lyric-hughes-hale/china-takes-off
- Chicago Mercantile Exchange economists http://investor.cmegroup.com/investor-relations/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=159304
- Australian American Leadership Dialogue participant David Hale http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion/us-debt-a-threat-to-security/story-e6frg6zo-1225892957968
- What's Next: http://yalepress.yale.edu/yupbooks/book.asp?isbn=9780300170313