|Born||Rapid City, South Dakota, U.S|
|Current group||Bolshoi Ballet, American Ballet Theatre|
David Hallberg is an American classical ballet dancer. He is a principal dancer for the Bolshoi Ballet and American Ballet Theatre, and became the first American to become a principal dancer with the Bolshoi in 2011. Hallberg was invited by Sergei Filin, Bolshoi Ballet's artistic director to join as either a guest artist or principal. Part of his decision to join was made, in part, to dance with ballerina Natalia Osipova with whom he has danced previously.
Hallberg was born in Rapid City, South Dakota, and grew up in Phoenix, Arizona. He was inspired to dance when he saw a Fred Astaire film in the family living room. With his family's support, he trained at the Ballet Arizona School under the direction of Kee Juan Han. In 1999 he studied for 1 year at the Paris Opera Ballet School, then joined American Ballet Theatre's Studio Company in 2000. Hallberg joined the main company's Corp de ballet in 2001, was promoted to Soloist in 2004, then Principal in 2006. He joined the Bolshoi Ballet Company as a Principal Dancer in 2011. He has been a guest artist and danced with many different companies around the world. The companies he as danced with include the Royal Swedish Ballet, Kiev Ballet in the Ukraine, Teatro Colon in Buenos Aires and many others. He has also performed at galas around the world from Japan to the Bolshoi Ballet Company in Moscow.
- "David Hallberg - ABT: Dancers". American Ballet Theatre. Retrieved August 13, 2014.
- Hawgood, Alex (March 8, 2013). "The Prince of Ballet, Leaping Onto a New World Stage". New York Times. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- Katz Rizzo, Laura (1 September 2012). "Vaganova's Vision and the Development of Neoclassical Russian Ballet Technique". Dance Chronicle. 35 (3): 408–413. doi:10.1080/01472526.2012.720960. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- Alastair Macaulay; Daniel J. Wakin (September 20, 2011). "American Is to Join the Bolshoi Ballet". New York Times. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- ttanner (August–September 2006). "A Princely Principal". Pointe Magazine Online. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- "Principals, David Hallberg". American Ballet Theatre.
- Hawgood, Alex (8 March 2013). "David Hallberg, the Prince of Tights, Leaping Onto a New World Stage". The New York Times.