David Halpern (psychologist)
Halpern attended King's School, Rochester, before attending Christ's College, University of Cambridge achieving a 1st in natural Sciences specialising in experimental psychology. He then went on to complete a PhD in social and political sciences, also at St John's College, Cambridge.
Halpern was a research fellow at the Policy Studies Institute (1991–94), a Nuffield College, Oxford prize research fellow (1993–96) and a lecturer in social human sciences at the University of Cambridge (1996–2001).
He is one of the 56 individuals named by the UK government as contributing to the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies in response to the COVID-19 pandemic in the United Kingdom, focusing on behavioural changes such as increased handwashing. On 11 March 2020 he gave an interview to the BBC on the importance of shielding vulnerable people during the COVID-19 pandemic until herd immunity had been achieved.
He has authored or co-authored four books as well as a number of reports:
- Social Capital (2005).
- Options for Britain (1996 and 2010).
- The Hidden Wealth of Nations (2010).
- Inside the Nudge Unit (2015) 
- The MINDSPACE report (Influencing behaviour through public policy), co-author.
- Benjamin, Alison (5 February 2013). "David Halpern: 'We try to avoid legislation and ordering'". Guardian. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- "Whitehall 'Nudge unit' to be part privatised". BBC. 1 May 2013. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- "Institute for Government – our people". Institute for Government. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- "King's College London Halpern". Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- Hutton, Robert (11 March 2020). "Keep Calm and Wash Your Hands: Britain's Strategy to Beat Virus". Bloomberg News. Retrieved 12 March 2020.
- Freeman, Lawrence. "The real reason the UK government pursued "herd immunity" – and why it was abandoned". www.newstatesman.com (1 APRIL 2020). NS Media Group. New Statesman. Retrieved 20 April 2020.
- "Eighty-four leading social scientists conferred as Fellows of the Academy of Social Sciences". Academy of Social Sciences. 19 October 2016. Retrieved 5 August 2017.
- "Options for Britain II". Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- Halpern, David (2015). Inside the Nudge Unit: How small changes can make a big difference. WH Allen. ISBN 978-0-7535-5653-5.
- MINDSPACE report (PDF). 2010.