David Hernandez (baseball)
Hernandez with the Phillies in 2016
|Arizona Diamondbacks – No. 47|
May 13, 1985 |
|May 28, 2009, for the Baltimore Orioles|
(through August 8, 2017)
|Earned run average||3.95|
David Jose Hernandez (born May 13, 1985) is an American professional baseball relief pitcher for the Arizona Diamondbacks of Major League Baseball (MLB). He previously played for the Baltimore Orioles, Philadelphia Phillies, Atlanta Braves, and Los Angeles Angels. He attended Cosumnes River College.
Hernandez, who is of Mexican-American descent, was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in the 16th round, 483rd overall pick, of the 2005 Major League Baseball draft. Hernandez made his debut against the Detroit Tigers on May 28, 2009. He went 5 2⁄3 innings. He gave up five hits, allowed four walks, and only one earned run while striking out three.
Hernandez throws a 95 mph fastball, a 78 mph slider, and an 84 mph changeup. He is known for his high strikeout rate, which improved at every level in the minors, from 9.54 K/9 in A to 12.46 K/9 in AAA. He is a flyball pitcher – 45% of balls in play are flyballs, with only 38% of them staying on the ground.
San Francisco Giants
On March 26, 2017, the Atlanta Braves signed Hernandez to a minor league contract.
Los Angeles Angels
On April 24, 2017, the Braves traded Hernandez to the Los Angeles Angels in exchange for a player to be named later or cash considerations. He pitched in 38 games for the Angels and pitched 36 and third innings, had 37 strikeouts, and finished with a 2.23 ERA before being traded to the Diamondbacks on July 31.
Return to Arizona
On July 31, 2017, Hernandez was traded to the Diamondbacks for Luis Madero.
Hernandez attempted to join Team Mexico in the 2013 World Baseball Classic, but was not able to put together the proper documentation in time. After an injury to Chris Perez, Hernandez was asked to join Team USA.
- "Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher David Hernandez hopes talent does talking in WBC". azcentral.com. Retrieved August 13, 2015.
- "David Hernandez". fangraphs.com. Retrieved August 13, 2015.
- Minor League Splits[dead link]
- Zrebiec, Jeff (December 6, 2010). "Orioles trade Hernandez, Mickolio to Diamondbacks for Reynolds". Batimore Sun. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- "Diamondbacks trade John Hester to Baltimore Orioles". The Arizona Republic. April 30, 2011. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- Gilbert, Steve (March 31, 2014). "Hernandez to undergo Tommy John surgery". MLB.com. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- Breen, Matt (December 9, 2015). "Phillies sign reliever David Hernandez". Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- Zolecki, Todd (December 9, 2015). "Phillies sign right-handed reliever Hernandez". MLB.com. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- Haft, Chris (February 14, 2017). "Giants sign righty reliever David Hernandez". MLB.com. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- Bowman, Mark (March 26, 2017). "Braves to finalize bullpen, bench this week". MLB.com. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- Bowman, Mark (April 24, 2017). "Braves trade reliever Hernandez to Angels". MLB.com. Retrieved April 24, 2017.