David Hernandez (baseball)
Hernandez with the Phillies in 2016
|Atlanta Braves – No. 30|
May 13, 1985 |
|May 28, 2009, for the Baltimore Orioles|
(through 2016 season)
|Earned run average||4.10|
David Jose Hernandez (born May 13, 1985) is an American professional baseball relief pitcher for the Atlanta Braves organization. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Baltimore Orioles, Arizona Diamondbacks and Philadelphia Phillies. He attended Cosumnes River College.
Hernandez, who is of Mexican-American descent, was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in the 16th round, 483rd overall pick, of the 2005 Major League Baseball draft. Hernandez made his debut against the Detroit Tigers on May 28, 2009. He went 5 2⁄3 innings. He gave up five hits, allowed four walks, and only one earned run while striking out three.
Hernandez throws a 95 mph fastball, a 78 mph slider, and an 84 mph changeup. He is known for his high strikeout rate, which improved at every level in the minors, from 9.54 K/9 in A to 12.46 K/9 in AAA. He is a flyball pitcher – 45% of balls in play are flyballs, with only 38% of them staying on the ground.
San Francisco Giants
On March 26, 2017, the Atlanta Braves signed Hernandez to a minor league contract.
Hernandez attempted to join Team Mexico in the 2013 World Baseball Classic, but was not able to put together the proper documentation in time. After an injury to Chris Perez, Hernandez was asked to join Team USA.
- "Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher David Hernandez hopes talent does talking in WBC". azcentral.com. Retrieved August 13, 2015.
- "David Hernandez". fangraphs.com. Retrieved August 13, 2015.
- Minor League Splits[dead link]
- Zrebiec, Jeff (December 6, 2010). "Orioles trade Hernandez, Mickolio to Diamondbacks for Reynolds". Batimore Sun. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- "Diamondbacks trade John Hester to Baltimore Orioles". The Arizona Republic. April 30, 2011. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- Gilbert, Steve (March 31, 2014). "Hernandez to undergo Tommy John surgery". MLB.com. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- Breen, Matt (December 9, 2015). "Phillies sign reliever David Hernandez". Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- Zolecki, Todd (December 9, 2015). "Phillies sign right-handed reliever Hernandez". MLB.com. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- Haft, Chris (February 14, 2017). "Giants sign righty reliever David Hernandez". MLB.com. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- Bowman, Mark (March 26, 2017). "Braves to finalize bullpen, bench this week". MLB.com. Retrieved March 27, 2017.