David Higgins (golfer)
Higgins, with his wife, Elizabeth Conlon
|Full name||David William Higgins|
1 December 1972|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Weight||76 kg (168 lb; 12.0 st)|
|Former tour(s)||European Tour|
|Number of wins by tour|
|Best results in major championships|
|The Open Championship||CUT: 2007, 2009|
David William Higgins (born 1 December 1972) is an Irish professional golfer.
Higgins was born in Cork. He is the son of European Seniors Tour golfer Liam Higgins. He was the country's leading amateur by the time he reached 21. Following match play victories over Pádraig Harrington in the finals of the South of Ireland and the Irish Amateur Close championships he decided to turn professional in 1994.
Higgins earned £67,000 in his rookie season on the European Tour in 1996 to finish just inside the top 100 on the Order of Merit. In 1997 he broke his left wrist and right elbow in a horse riding accident. On his return, he failed to immediately rediscover his form and dropped down to the second tier Challenge Tour in 1999.
In 2000 Higgins won three times on the Challenge Tour, and finished 2nd on the end of season Rankings, to graduate back to the European Tour for the following season. He failed to make an impact at the highest level and returned to the Challenge Tour in 2005. He again found success, finishing 12th on the rankings to earn another shot at the European Tour, but he was unable to maintain that form, again losing his card at the end of 2007.
Amateur wins (3)
- 1989 Irish Boys Championship
- 1994 Irish Amateur Close Championship, South of Ireland Championship
Professional wins (6)
Challenge Tour wins (3)
|No.||Date||Tournament||Winning score||Margin of
|1||11 Jun 2000||NCC Open||−10 (69-70-64-71=274)||3 strokes||Martin Erlandsson|
|2||23 Jul 2000||Günther Hamburg Classic||−18 (69-69-68-64=270)||Playoff||Carlos Rodiles|
|3||27 Aug 2000||Rolex Trophy||−17 (70-66-66-69=271)||4 strokes||Carlos Larrain|
Other wins (3)
- 1995 Ulster PGA Championship
- 2012 Irish PGA Championship
- 2016 Titleist and FootJoy PGA Professional Championship
Results in major championships
|The Open Championship||CUT||CUT|
Note: Higgins only played in The Open Championship.
CUT = missed the half-way cut
- PGA Cup (representing Great Britain and Ireland): 2017 (winners)
- http://indigo.ie/~kands/kands/html/higgins.html. Retrieved 22 July 2007.
- "Higgins turns up the heat on Tour return". Irish Independent. 3 March 2006. Retrieved 17 June 2009.
- "Counting the cost of failure to cement place on Tour circuit". Irish Independent. 20 December 2008. Retrieved 17 June 2009.