David Hobby (born January 30, 1965) is an American photographer and author of the Strobist.com lighting blog, a site which promotes lighting techniques — such as off-camera flash — among photographic enthusiasts, often with an emphasis on the practical knowledge rather than the gear. The blog has an on-line monthly readership of over 300,000 photographers from 175 countries, and was named one of the "25 Best Blogs of 2010" by Time Magazine.
Until July 2008, Hobby was a staff photojournalist with The Baltimore Sun.
In June 2007, he took a year-long leave of absence from The Sun to blog full-time. On August 3, 2008, Hobby announced in a posting on his blog that he had taken a buyout from The Sun along with about one hundred staffers who left the paper at that time. He explained, "There was a hard staff reduction quota in effect, and given the way the blog has gone I thought it would be best if I counted toward it when they started lopping off heads..." Hobby has since used the blog as a platform from which to explore various photographic projects.
In June 2009, Hobby was named one of "The Five Biggest Photographers on the Internet" by Photo District News.
- Jefferson Graham for USA Today
- Allen Murabayashi for the American Society of Media Photographers
Hobby has authored an article on a DIY photo studio in the December 2007 issue of MacWorld, co-authored the book Columbia: A Celebration with wife Susan Thornton Hobby, and produced two tutorial DVD series
Hobby currently lives in the Howard County, Maryland area with his wife Susan and two children.
- "Best Blogs of 2010". Time Magazine. 2010-06-28.
- "Blog, Newspaper, Family. Pick any Two".
- "Will Shoot for Food". Strobist.
- Graham, Jefferson (2008-04-23). "In a flash, Strobist blog about lighting photos hit it big". USA Today.
- Murabayishi, Allen (2018-08-16). "Triggered: David Hobby Reflects on 12 Years with Strobist". ASMP Strictly Business Blog.
- "DIY photo studio". MacWorld. December 2007.
- Columbia: A Celebration. Perry Publishing. 1995. ISBN 0-9643728-1-9.
- "Strobist FAQ". Strobist.blogspot.com. 2007-11-30. Retrieved 2012-11-09.