July 19, 1991 |
|August 27, 2013, for the Arizona Diamondbacks|
(through 2017 season)
|Earned run average||5.49|
David A. Holmberg (born July 19, 1991) is an American professional baseball pitcher in the Colorado Rockies organization. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Arizona Diamondbacks, Cincinnati Reds, and Chicago White Sox.
Chicago White Sox
Prior to the 2013 season, Holmberg was ranked by Baseball America as the Diamondbacks' sixth-best prospect. The Diamondbacks promoted Holmberg from the Mobile Bay Bears of the Class AA Southern League on August 27, 2013.
On July 6, 2014, the Reds announced Holmberg will be called up July 8, to pitch the second game of a day/night doubleheader vs. the Chicago Cubs. He was sent back down after the game, but was called up to Cincinnati again on August 21. Holmberg started that night's game against the Atlanta Braves, but gave up six runs in two and two-thirds innings and picked up the loss. He was optioned to AAA the next day. On July 29, 2015 the Reds announced Holmberg would pitch the next day to fill in for the empty starting pitching rotation spot, formerly held by Johnny Cueto who was traded to the Kansas City Royals earlier that week.
Holmberg signed a minor league with the Atlanta Braves with an invite to spring training for the 2016 season. He was released in March.
Second Stint with White Sox
Holmberg signed a minor league deal with the Chicago White Sox on April 11, 2016. On May 5, 2017, he was recalled from Triple-A Charlotte Knights and made his White Sox debut the same day against the Kansas City Royals.
- "Hard-luck David Holmberg's victory total doesn't match his pitching stats for BayBears". Al.com. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- "White Sox acquire Jackson". Sports.espn.go.com. July 31, 2010. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- "Arizona Diamondbacks acquire Daniel Hudson, David Holmberg". Azcentral.com. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- Mitchell, Bill (January 21, 2013). "Baseball America Diamondbacks top 2013 prospects". Baseballamerica.com. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- "Arizona Diamondbacks call up Mobile BayBears left-hander David Holmberg". al.com. June 11, 2013. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- "D-backs tab prospect Holmberg for spot start | dbacks.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. May 24, 2013. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- 12/3/2013 4:08 P.M. ET (December 3, 2013). "Reds acquire LHP David Holmberg from Diamondbacks". Cincinnati.reds.mlb.com. Retrieved March 19, 2014.
- Sheldon, Mark; Randhawa, Manny. "Holmberg to be called up for doubleheader". cincinnati.reds.mlb.com. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- Cincinnati Reds on Twitter: Reds promote Holmberg and Villarreal, option to Louisville Contreras and Hoover.
- Reds call up Daniel Corcino, send David Holmberg down
- "Orioles' David Holmberg: Signs minor-league deal with Orioles". cbssports.com. February 7, 2018. Retrieved February 7, 2018.
- Adams, Steve (March 30, 2018). "Minor MLB Transactions: 3/30/18". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved March 30, 2018.
- Adams, Steve (April 9, 2018). "Rockies Agree to Minor League Deal with David Holmberg". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved April 9, 2018.