David Howard Adeney
David Howard Adeney
|Born||3 November 1911|
|Died||11 May 1994|
|Alma mater||Queens' College, Cambridge|
|Employer||China Inland Mission International Fellowship of Evangelical Students|
David Howard Adeney (3 November 1911 – 11 May 1994) was a British Protestant Christian missionary and university evangelist in Hunan, China and East Asia. He served with the China Inland Mission (CIM), InterVarsity Fellowship, and International Fellowship of Evangelical Students (IFES). In 1968 he founded the Discipleship Training Centre (DTC) in Singapore.
Life and Ministry
Born into a missionary family in Bedford, England on 3 November 1911, Adeney decided to be a missionary to China since high school, following the path of his parents, who had worked in Romania with the London Jew's Society. He finished his secondary education at Monkton Combe School, Somerset, UK, and completed an MA in theology and history at Queens' College, Cambridge, UK in 1933. Before moving to China in 1934, he spent a year at the CIM training school in London.
Between 1934 and 1914, he involved in church planting in rural villages in central China. and left for the United States due to the attack on Pearl Harbor. During his stay in the U.S., he worked in InterVarsity for a year, before moving back in China and being appointed as the associate general secretary of China InterVarsity Christian Fellowship.
In 1956, Adeney was appointed the associate general secretary for the Far East of IFES, whose office was located in Hong Kong. He led the student ministry until 1968 when the Cultural Revolution started.
He is also the founder of DTC in Singapore, an institution first initiated by the CIM, in order to train university graduates in theology.
- David H. Adeney, The Unchanging Commission (1955)
- David H. Adeney, Before Missionary Service (1967)
- David H. Adeney, China: Christian Students Face the Revolution (1973)
- David H. Adeney, China, the Church's Long March (1985)
- Carolyn Armitage, Reaching for the Goal: The Life Story of David Adeney (1993)
- David Ellis (1994-05-17). "Obituary: David Adeney". The Independent Features. p. 14.
- "Collection 393 - David Howard Adeney. T1 Transcript". www2.wheaton.edu. Retrieved 2018-01-19.
- "Obituary: David Adeney". The Independent. 1994-05-17. Retrieved 2018-01-19.
- Kwok, Wai-luen (July 2009). "Keeping tradition and Introducing Innovation: David Adeney's Student Ministry as a Case for Studying the Interaction and Changes of Hong Kong Church and Society". Jian Dao (32): 123–152.
- "Interview with David Howard Adeney - Collection 393". www2.wheaton.edu. Retrieved 2018-01-19.
- Doyle, G. Wright. "David Howard Adeney (1911–1994)". Biographical Dictionary of Chinese Christianity. Retrieved 11 June 2018.
- Adeney, David H. (1988-07-08). China: The Church's Long March (New ed.). Eastbourne: Kingsway Publications. ISBN 9780860656661.
- Adeney, David H. (1955). The unchanging commission. Inter-Varsity Press.
- Adeney, David H. (1967). Before Missionary Service (First ed.). Inter-Varsity Fellowship. ISBN 9780851102108.
- Adeney, David H. (1973-06-01). China: Christian Students Face the Revolution. London: Inter-Varsity Press. ISBN 9780851103709.
- Armitage, Carolyn (1993-10-01). Reaching for the Goal: The Life Story of David Adeney Ordinary Man, Extraordinary Mission (First Printing ed.). Wheaton, Ill.: Harold Shaw Pub. ISBN 9780877887126.