David Irvine (diplomat)
Portrait of David Irvine from the ASIO website
|12th Director-General of Security|
30 March 2009 – 14 September 2014
|Prime Minister||Kevin Rudd|
|Preceded by||Paul O'Sullivan|
|Succeeded by||Duncan Lewis|
|10th Director-General of the Australian Secret Intelligence Service|
1 March 2003 – 27 March 2009
|Prime Minister||John Howard|
|Preceded by||Allan Taylor|
|Succeeded by||Nick Warner|
David Taylor Irvine
10 January 1947
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
|Alma mater||University of Western Australia|
David Taylor Irvine AO (born 10 January 1947) is an Australian diplomat, who from March 2009 to September 2014 was the Director-General of Security, the head of the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation. Prior to his appointment to ASIO, he was Director-General of the Australian Secret Intelligence Service (ASIS) from 2003 to 2009.
Irvine was born in Perth, Western Australia and studied at Hale School and The University of Western Australia, graduating with honours in Elizabethan history. He worked as a journalist in Perth, and joined the Department of External Affairs (the Australian foreign service) in 1970, and served as Australian High Commissioner to Papua New Guinea (1996–1999) and Australian Ambassador to China (2000–2003).
He has written two books about Indonesia: a 1990 English translation of Bisma: Warrior Priest of the Mahabharata by Satyagraha Hurip, and Leather Gods & Wooden Heroes: Java's Classical Wayang (1996; about Indonesian Wayang shadow puppets).
- McDonald, Hamish: Puppet-master now pulling the strings at ASIS, The Age, 20 February 2003.
- Appointment of Director-General, ASIS, Minister for Foreign Affairs, 23 December 2002.
- Evans, Gareth (9 December 1995). "Diplomatic Appointment: High Commissioner to Papua New Guinea" (Press release). Australian Government. Archived from the original on 18 September 2012.
- Bisma : warrior priest of the Mahabharata / Satyagraha Hurip ; translated from the Indonesian by David Irvine, National Library of Australia, 1990.
- Leather gods & wooden heroes : Java's classical wayang / David Irvine, National Library of Australia, 1996.
| Australian High Commissioner to Papua New Guinea
| Australian Ambassador to China
| Director-General of the
Australian Secret Intelligence Service
| Director-General of Security