David J. Lipman
David Lipman (right) with Paul Ginsparg in June 2013
|Born||David J. Lipman|
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York
ISCB Senior Scientist Award|
Member of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences
Sequence comparison methods
National Center for Biotechnology Information|
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York
Stephen Altschul|
Mark Boguski
David J. Lipman is an American biologist who since 1989 to 2017 had been the Director of the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) at the National Institutes of Health. NCBI is the home of GenBank, the U.S. node of the International Sequence Database Consortium, and PubMed, one of the most heavily used sites in the world for the search and retrieval of biomedical information. Lipman is one of the original authors of the BLAST sequence alignment program, and a respected figure in bioinformatics. In May 2017, it was announced that he would be leaving NCBI and would be taking the position of Chief Science Officer at Impossible Foods.
Lipman received his undergraduate degree from Brown University and his M.D. in 1980 from the University at Buffalo, The State University of New York
Lipman leads an intramural research program, including groups led by Stephen Altschul (another BLAST co-author), David Landsman, Eugene Koonin (a prolific author on comparative genomics), and L. Aravind.
He is most well known for his work on a series of sequence similarity algorithm, starting from the Wilbur-Lipman algorithm in 1983, FASTA search search in 1985, BLAST in 1990, and Gapped BLAST and PSI-BLAST in 1997.
Lipman also works with Dennis A. Benson and others at NCBI, contributing to the maintenance and improvement of GenBank and annually publishes a paper on their progress. The improvements include specification of data format, curation of data, integration of protein information with DNA sequences and scientific literature.
Awards and honors
Lipman received the Association of Biomolecular Resource Facilities Award for outstanding contributions to Biomolecular Technologies in 1996.
- Anon (2017). "ISCB Fellows". iscb.org. International Society for Computational Biology. Archived from the original on 2017-03-20.
- "David J. Lipman, MD, Director, National Center for Biotechnology Information". Archived from the original on 2013-06-10.
- "Open Access Now | Conversation with David Lipman". Biomedcentral.com. Archived from the original on 29 June 2011. Retrieved 2 July 2011.
- Benson, D. A.; Karsch-Mizrachi, I.; Lipman, D. J.; Ostell, J.; Wheeler, D. L. (2007). "GenBank". Nucleic Acids Research. 36 (Database issue): D25–D30. doi:10.1093/nar/gkm929. PMC . PMID 18073190.
- "david lipman - Google Scholar". Scholar.google.com. Retrieved 2017-03-26.
- List of publications from Microsoft Academic[dead link]
- David J. Lipman at DBLP Bibliography Server
- "National Library of Medicine Announces Departure of NCBI Director Dr. David Lipman". www.nlm.nih.gov. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- "David J. Lipman, M.D. Biography". nih.gov.
- Tatusov, R. L.; Koonin, E. V.; Lipman, D. J. (1997). "A Genomic Perspective on Protein Families". Science. 278 (5338): 631–637. doi:10.1126/science.278.5338.631. PMID 9381173.
- Wilbur, W. J.; Lipman, D. J. (1983). "Rapid similarity searches of nucleic acid and protein data banks". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 80 (3): 726–730. doi:10.1073/pnas.80.3.726. PMC . PMID 6572363.
- Lipman, D.; Pearson, W. (1985). "Rapid and sensitive protein similarity searches". Science. 227 (4693): 1435–1441. doi:10.1126/science.2983426. PMID 2983426.
- Pearson, W. R.; Lipman, D. J. (1988). "Improved tools for biological sequence comparison". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 85 (8): 2444–2448. doi:10.1073/pnas.85.8.2444. PMC . PMID 3162770.
- Altschul, Stephen; Gish, Warren; Miller, Webb; Myers, Eugene; Lipman, David (1990). "Basic local alignment search tool". Journal of Molecular Biology. 215 (3): 403–410. doi:10.1016/S0022-2836(05)80360-2. PMID 2231712.
- Altschul, S.; Madden, T. L.; Schäffer, A. A.; Zhang, J.; Zhang, Z.; Miller, W.; Lipman, D. J. (1997). "Gapped BLAST and PSI-BLAST: A new generation of protein database search programs". Nucleic Acids Research. 25 (17): 3389–3402. doi:10.1093/nar/25.17.3389. PMC . PMID 9254694.
- Benson, D. A.; Cavanaugh, M.; Clark, K.; Karsch-Mizrachi, I.; Lipman, D. J.; Ostell, J.; Sayers, E. W. (2012). "GenBank". Nucleic Acids Research. 41 (Database issue): D36–D42. doi:10.1093/nar/gks1195. PMC . PMID 23193287.
- Benson, D. A.; Karsch-Mizrachi, I.; Clark, K.; Lipman, D. J.; Ostell, J.; Sayers, E. W. (2011). "GenBank". Nucleic Acids Research. 40 (Database issue): D48–D53. doi:10.1093/nar/gkr1202. PMC . PMID 22144687.
- Benson, D. A.; Karsch-Mizrachi, I.; Lipman, D. J.; Ostell, J.; Sayers, E. W. (2010). "GenBank". Nucleic Acids Research. 39 (Database issue): D32–D37. doi:10.1093/nar/gkq1079. PMC . PMID 21071399.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-09-30. Retrieved 2011-10-28.
- "National Library of Medicine Announces Departure of NCBI Director Dr. David Lipman". www.nlm.nih.gov. Retrieved 2017-05-04.
- "ISCB Names 2004 Senior Scientist Accomplishment Award Winner, Dr. David Lipman ISCB Newsletter 7-3". Iscb.org. Retrieved 2 July 2011.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-04-05. Retrieved 2016-04-02.
- "Dr. David Lipman Receives White House "Open Science" Champions of Change Award on Behalf of NCBI". Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. Retrieved 2 April 2016.