David J. Porter (judge)
David J. Porter
|Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit|
|Assumed office |
October 15, 2018
|Appointed by||Donald Trump|
|Preceded by||D. Michael Fisher|
David James Porter
March 8, 1966
Kittanning, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Education||Grove City College (BA)|
Antonin Scalia Law School (JD)
David James Porter (born March 8, 1966) is a United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
Early life and education
Porter was born on March 8, 1966, in Kittanning, Pennsylvania. He earned his Bachelor of Arts from Grove City College and his Juris Doctor from Antonin Scalia Law School, where he served as a member and notes editor of the George Mason Law Review.
After graduating from law school, Porter served as a law clerk to Judge D. Brooks Smith of the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania. He then joined Buchanan, Ingersoll & Rooney, where practiced in the fields of regulatory, constitutional, and commercial litigation. Porter remained at Buchanan, Ingersoll & Rooney before he became a judge. From 1989–1992 he was a member of the Federalist Society; he rejoined in 1995 and has since been President of the Pittsburgh chapter.
Federal judicial service
On April 10, 2018, President Trump announced his intent to nominate Porter to serve as a United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. Senator Bob Casey Jr. indicated his opposition to Porter's nomination, while Senator Pat Toomey voiced his support. On April 12, 2018, his nomination was sent to the Senate. He was confirmed to the seat vacated by Judge D. Michael Fisher, who assumed senior status on February 1, 2017. On June 6, 2018, a hearing on his nomination was held before the Senate Judiciary Committee. On July 19, 2018, his nomination was reported out of committee by a party line 11–10 vote. On October 11, 2018, his nomination was confirmed by a 50–45 vote. He received his judicial commission on October 15, 2018.
- Lawyer Central profile
- "President Donald J. Trump Announces Twelfth Wave of Judicial Nominees, Twelfth Wave of United States Attorneys, and Sixth Wave of United States Marshals". whitehouse.gov. April 10, 2018. Retrieved April 10, 2018. This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- "David J. Porter bio". Buchanan, Ingersoll & Rooney. Retrieved April 10, 2018.
- "Questionnaire for Judicial Nominees" (PDF). judiciary.senate.gov. Retrieved 2018-06-30.
- Mauriello, Tracie (April 10, 2018). "Trump nominates Pittsburgh attorney to U.S. Circuit Court". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved April 10, 2018.
- Mauriello, Tracie (April 10, 2018). "Pennsylvania senators split over Trump's David Porter nomination". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved April 10, 2018.
- "Twenty-Nine Nominations Sent to the Senate Today", The White House, April 12, 2018
- United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Nominations for June 6, 2018
- Results of Executive Business Meeting – July 19, 2018, Senate Judiciary Committee
- "On the Nomination (Confirmation David James Porter, of Pennsylvania, to be U.S. Circuit Judge for the Third Circuit)". United States Senate. October 11, 2018. Retrieved October 11, 2018.
- David J. Porter at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
D. Michael Fisher
| Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit