David James Duncan
|David James Duncan|
|Born||1952 (age 64–65)
Portland, Oregon, U.S.
|Alma mater||Portland State University|
|Notable works||The River Why (1983)
The Brothers K (1992)
In 2008, The River Why was adapted into a "low-budget film" of the same name starring William Hurt and Amber Heard. On April 30, 2008, the film rights to The River Why became the subject of a lawsuit by Duncan alleging copyright infringement, among other issues. The lawsuit has been settled and Duncan has said, “I engaged in a three-year legal battle against the producers of the film over their handling of my film rights. That battle was settled last fall. My name is off the film, Sierra Club’s name is off the film, and the rights have returned to me. I tried to remove my title from their film, too, but the federal magistrate in San Francisco let them keep it”.
Duncan has written a collection of short stories, River Teeth (1996, ISBN 0-553-37827-9), and a memoir of sorts, My Story As Told By Water (2001, ISBN 1-57805-083-9). His latest work is God Laughs and Plays: Churchless Sermons in Response to the Preachments of the Fundamentalist Right, published in 2006 (ISBN 0977717003).
An essay, "A Mickey Mantle koan: The obstinate grip of an autographed baseball" appeared in Harper's Magazine in 1992.
- David James Duncan: An Inventory of His Papers, (1959-2002) at Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, Texas Tech University
- The River Why on IMDb
- Ambush, Hurt jump into River Why from a July 1, 2008 article from Variety magazine
- Hollywood Docket: River Why Author Claims Producers Infringed on Film Rights from the "The Hollywood Reporter, Esq." blog
- Duncan v. Cohen, Case No. 08-CV-2243 (USDC, N. Calif. filed April 30, 2008) from courthousenews.com
- Interview: David James Duncan: Author of "The River Why" on water, salmon and the policies that are killing them from 1859 Oregon's Magazine
- David James Duncan Official website
- David James Duncan at DMOZ
- INK Q&A: Interview with David James Duncan from the Powell's Books website