David Jones (golfer)
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
22 June 1947 |
Newcastle, Northern Ireland
|Height||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight||196 lb (89 kg; 14.0 st)|
|Former tour(s)||European Tour
European Seniors Tour
|Number of wins by tour|
|European Senior Tour||1|
|Best results in major championships
|The Open Championship||T50: 1981|
|Achievements and awards|
|(For a full list of awards, see here)|
After his career on the circuit, he became a prominent course designer and golf coach, (Irish National Coach 1987/1988).
He has designed golf courses in his native Ireland and various countries, principally Kenya, Turkey, Tanzania and Finland.
Jones played on the European Seniors Tour from 1999 to 2004, winning once.
He represented Great Britain and Ireland, and latterly Europe, in the PGA Cup Matches against the USA, twice as captain, and seven times as a player.
He currently serves as a director on the board of the European Tour.
- 1978 British PGA Club Professionals Championship, Irish Dunlop Tournament
- 1979 British PGA Club Professionals Championship, Irish Dunlop Tournament, Irish Match Play Championship
- 1981 Irish PGA Championship
- 1989 555 Kenya Open
- 1994 British PGA Club Professionals Championship
European Seniors Tour wins (1)
|No.||Date||Tournament||Winning score||Margin of
|1||13 Jun 1999||Jersey Seniors Open||−8 (69-70-69=208)||2 strokes||Paul Leonard, Jim Rhodes|
- PGA Cup (representing Great Britain and Ireland/Europe): 1976, 1977 (tie), 1978 (winners), 1979 (winners), 1981 (tie), 1982 (non-playing captain), 1992, 1994, 2003 (non-playing captain)
- Europcar Cup (representing Ireland): 1988
- Praia D'el Rey European Cup: 1998 (tie), 1999