|Born||David M. Kirschner
May 29, 1955
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
David M. Kirschner (born May 29, 1955) is an American film and television producer who often produces animated works. He is well known for his breakthrough production on the 1986 animated feature An American Tail as well as the Chucky series.
After studying at the University of Southern California School of Cinematic Arts, Kirschner began his career designing album cover art for Neil Diamond, most notably Neil Diamond's The Jazz Singer, and illustrating characters for the Muppets and Sesame Street. In 1983, Kirschner created and released children's book series Rose Petal Place, which spawned two Television specials, toys, clothing and a wide array of licensed consumer products.
In 1986 Kirschner created and executive produced An American Tail, which was co-executive produced by Steven Spielberg, and, at its release, was the highest grossing non-Disney produced animated feature of all-time. The film was followed by its theatrical sequel An American Tail: Fievel Goes West (1991), the television series Fievel's American Tails, and two direct-to-video sequels.
Kirschner was appointed Chairman of Hanna-Barbera studios in 1989, where he created and executive produced many films, specials and TV shows, including Wake, Rattle & Roll, Gravedale High and The Pirates of Dark Water.
Kirschner is also creator of the Chucky animatronic doll which is featured in the Chucky series. He has actively produced all 6 films in the franchise and is involved in development of Curse of Chucky, a Direct-to-Video Movie for The Series which is made by Universal 1440 Entertainment.
Other notable productions include 1997's Cats Don't Dance, winner of the 25th annual Annie Award for Best Animated Feature, 2006's Curious George, based upon the book series of the same name The Martian Child, and Golden Globe-nominated Miss Potter.
His recent work includes; Executive Producer on 6-time Emmy Award Nominated, 2-time Emmy Award Winning Curious George (now in its ninth Season), Hocus Pocus 2: Rise of the Elder Witch (In-Development for Disney), Revenge of Chucky (In Pre-Production for Universal 1440 Entertainment), Random (In Pre-Production for The Weinstein Company) and Garden District (In-Development for Dimension Films).
Kirschner is currently head of his own production company, David Kirschner Productions.
Filmography as producer
- Rose Petal Place (1984)
- Rose Petal Place: Real Friends (1985)
- An American Tail (1986)
- Child's Play (1988)
- Child's Play 2 (1990)
- The Dreamer of Oz (1990)
- Child's Play 3 (1991)
- An American Tail: Fievel Goes West (1991)
- Monster in My Pocket: The Big Scream (1992)
- Once Upon a Forest (1993)
- Hocus Pocus (1993)
- The Halloween Tree (1993)
- The Town That Santa Forgot (1993)
- The Flintstones (1994)
- The Pagemaster (1994)
- Cats Don't Dance (1997)
- An American Tail: The Treasure of Manhattan Island (1998)
- Bride of Chucky (1998)
- An American Tail: The Mystery of the Night Monster (1999)
- Titan A.E. (2000)
- Frailty (2001)
- Secondhand Lions (2003)
- Seed of Chucky (2004)
- Thru the Moebius Strip (2005)
- Curious George (2006)
- Miss Potter (2006)
- Martian Child (2007)
- Curious George 2: Follow That Monkey! (2010)
- Curse of Chucky (2013)
- Poochinski (1990, failed TV pilot)
- Gravedale High (1990)
- Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventures (1990–1991, season 1 only)
- Wake, Rattle & Roll (1990–1991)
- The Pirates of Dark Water (1991–1993)
- The Addams Family (1992–1993)
- Fievel's American Tails (1992)
- Capitol Critters (1992)
- Fish Police (1992)
- Earth: Final Conflict (1997–2002)
- 5ive Days to Midnight (2004)
- Curious George (2006–present)