David López (footballer, born 1989)
López playing for Napoli in 2015
|Full name||David López Silva|
|Date of birth||9 October 1989|
|Place of birth||Barcelona, Spain|
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Playing position||Defensive midfielder|
|2009–2010||→ Terrassa (loan)||31||(2)|
|2011–2012||→ Leganés (loan)||30||(4)|
|2012–2013||→ Huesca (loan)||38||(3)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 20 May 2018
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 30 December 2013
Born in Barcelona, Catalonia, López finished his formation with local RCD Espanyol, and made his senior debuts with the reserves in the 2008–09 season, in Tercera División. In August 2009 he was loaned to Terrassa FC in Segunda División B, being a regular starter but suffering team relegation.
López returned to Espanyol in June 2010, and made his main squad – and La Liga – debut on 26 September, coming on as a late substitute in a 1–0 home win against CA Osasuna. He continued to appear more regularly with the B-side, however.
On 16 June 2013, López returned to Espanyol after the Pericos exercised the buyback option on his contract. He scored his first goal in the top flight on 24 August, netting his team's first in a 3–1 home success over Valencia CF.
On 31 August 2014, S.S.C. Napoli confirmed López' signing on a five-year contract. He made his Serie A debut on 21 September, playing the full 90 minutes and being booked in a 0–1 defeat at Udinese Calcio.
López scored his first competitive goal for the Italians (from 39 appearances) on 7 May 2015, putting his team ahead in an eventual 1–1 home draw against FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk for the semi-finals of the UEFA Europa League.
On 26 August 2016, López returned to Espanyol on a four-year deal. During most of his second spell he was utilized by manager Quique Sánchez Flores as a central defender and, from that position, he scored in a 1–4 away loss to FC Barcelona on 18 December.
- El RCD Espanyol cede al jugador del filial David López al Terrassa (RCD Espanyol loan reserve team player David López to Terrassa) Archived 3 March 2014 at the Wayback Machine.; Join Futbol, 31 August 2009 (in Spanish)
- Espanyol 1–0 Osasuna[permanent dead link]; ESPN FC, 26 September 2010
- El Espanyol cede a David López al Leganés (Espanyol loan David López to Leganés); Marca, 11 August 2011 (in Spanish)
- El Huesca ficha al mediocentro David López Silva (Huesca sign central midfielder David López Silva); Marca, 14 June 2012 (in Spanish)
- El Espanyol recupera a David López (Espanyol reclaim David López); Marca, 16 June 2013 (in Spanish)
- Espanyol battle back for victory Archived 13 November 2013 at the Wayback Machine.; ESPN FC, 24 August 2013
- David Lopez moves to Napoli; S.S.C. Napoli, 31 August 2014
- Udinese 1–0 Napoli; BBC Sport, 21 September 2014
- Dnipro deny dominant Napoli; UEFA, 7 May 2015
- "David López, welcome home!". RCD Espanyol. 26 August 2016. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- "David López: "No esperaba jugar de central"" [David López: “I did not expect to play as stopper”] (in Spanish). Mundo Deportivo. 30 September 2016. Retrieved 21 December 2016.
- "David López: "Una victoria nos daría mucha confianza"" [David López: "We would grow significantly in confidence with a win"] (in Spanish). Vavel. 20 November 2016. Retrieved 21 December 2016.
- "David López: "El gol marcado, un golpe de fe"" [David López: “The goal I scored, a strike of faith”] (in Spanish). Mundo Deportivo. 18 December 2016. Retrieved 21 December 2016.