David M. Laney (born January 19, 1949, in Dallas, Texas) is an attorney, an administrator of transportation programs, and a Republican supporter and fundraiser.
Personal and Education Laney grew up in Dallas, Texas, where he graduated from St. Mark's School of Texas in 1967. He then graduated from Stanford University and the law school at Southern Methodist University.
Legal Career Laney practiced at the law firm of Jenkens & Gilchrist from 1977 to 2003 and was Managing Partner of that firm from 1990 to 2002. Between 2003 and 2007, he was a partner with the law firm of Jackson Walker LLP in Dallas where he practiced in the area of corporate and financial law.
Political and public involvement Laney became a campaign "Pioneer" for George W. Bush by raising over $100,000 for his 2000 presidential campaign. He also made significant donations to Republican campaigns in the 2008 elections.
Texas Governor William Clements appointed Laney to the Texas Finance Commission from 1989 to 1995. That committee was responsible for regulatory oversight of state chartered banking and thrift institutions. He served as Governor Bush’s Texas Commissioner of Transportation (Chair of the Texas Transportation Commission) from 1995 to 2001.
In 2002, Mr. Laney was nominated by President George W. Bush to the board of directors of Amtrak and confirmed by the U.S. Senate for a five-year term. In 2007, he completed his term as Chairman of Amtrak’s board of directors.
Laney served on the Board of Trustees at Stanford University from 1998-2003. He currently serves on the board of Matador Reources.
- "David Laney Elected Chairman of Amtrak Board of Directors" (Press release). Amtrak. July 25, 2003. Retrieved January 19, 2009.
- "AMTRAK Chairman to Co-Chair U.S. Infrastructure Investing Summit in NYC". TTC News Archives. Texas Transportation Commission. October 9, 2006. Retrieved January 19, 2009.
- "Texas Transportation Pioneer Inducted into Hall of Honor". Texas Transportation Researcher. Texas A&M Transportation Institute. Retrieved January 19, 2015.
- "David M. Laney Joins Amtrak's Board of Directors" (Press release). Amtrak. November 26, 2002. Archived from the original on June 6, 2011. Retrieved January 19, 2009.
- "Jackson Walker Welcomes David Laney as New Partner to Firm" (Press release). Jackson Walker LLP. February 27, 2003. Archived from the original on December 27, 2010. Retrieved January 19, 2009.
- "FundRace 2008". Huffington Post. Retrieved January 19, 2009.
- "David Laney Political Campaign Contributions 2008 Election Cycle". Campaign Money.com. Retrieved January 19, 2009.
- Lindenberger, Michael A. (October 6, 2010). "Dallas lawyer David Laney inducted into Texas transportation Hall of Honor". Dallas Morning News. Retrieved January 19, 2015.
|This biography related to rail transport in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an American businessperson born in the 1940s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|