David Lascelles, 8th Earl of Harewood
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|The Right Honourable
The Earl of Harewood
|Preceded by||George Lascelles|
21 October 1950 |
Paddington, London, England
|Spouse(s)||Margaret Rosalind Messenger (m. 1979; div. 1989)
Diane Jane Howse
|Parents||George Lascelles, 7th Earl of Harewood
David Henry George Lascelles, 8th Earl of Harewood (born 21 October 1950), is a British hereditary peer and film and television producer. He is the first cousin, once removed of Queen Elizabeth II, the great-grandson of King George V and is 58th in line to the British throne. From his birth in 1950 until he succeeded his father in July 2011, he was known by the courtesy title Viscount Lascelles.
Lord Harewood was born at his parents' London house, 2 Orme Square, Bayswater, London, the eldest son of the 7th Earl of Harewood and his first wife, Marion Stein. He was baptised at All Saints' Church, Harewood. His father was first cousin of Queen Elizabeth II. His godparents were Elizabeth II (then The Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh), his great-grandmother Queen Mary, The Viscountess Boyne, Benjamin Britten and his uncle Gerald Lascelles.
On 12 February 1979 at St. Mary's Church, Paddington, London, he married Margaret Rosalind Messenger (born 15 April 1948 in Cheltenham), daughter of Edgar Frank Messenger and Margaret Alice Black: they were divorced in 1989. At one time, she was employed as a laboratory assistant at the University of Bristol. On 11 March 1990, he married Diane Jane Howse (born 9 November 1956 in Leafield). His children are:
- Lady Emily Tsering Shard (born 23 November 1975 in Bath), obtained Royal Consent to marry from the Privy Council on 12 February 2008. She married Matthew Shard. Lady Emily and her husband are the parents of twins, Isaac and Ida (born 2009), and Otis (born 2011).
- The Hon. Benjamin George Lascelles (born 19 September 1978 in Bath), a conservationist. Although he was Lord Harewood's first-born son, he is unable to inherit his father's titles as his parents were not married at the time of his birth. He obtained Royal Consent from the Privy Council to marry Colombian Carolina Vélez Robledo on 18 April 2009 at Harewood House. The couple have a son, Mateo, born in January 2013.
- Alexander Edgar Lascelles, Viscount Lascelles (born 13 May 1980 in Bath). He is a chef and heir-apparent to the earldom. He has a son, Leo Cyrus Anthony Lascelles (born 2008), by his exgirlfriend Laleh Yeganegy (born 1980).
- The Hon. Edward David Lascelles (born 19 November 1982 in Bath). Edward Lascelles, obtained royal consent to marry his long-term girlfriend, Sophie Cartlidge, on 2 August 2014.
Styles of address
- 1950–2011: Viscount Lascelles
- 2011–: The Right Honourable The Earl of Harewood
|Ancestors of David Lascelles, 8th Earl of Harewood|
- Descendants of King Christian IX of Denmark
- Privy Council 11 February 2009
- "Royal Wedding Staged at Harewood House". Yorkshire Evening Post. 21 April 2009. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- Walker, Tim (2014-05-16). "Viscount Lascelles, 53rd in line to the the throne, takes a job in the kitchen". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2014-05-16.
- "The Earl of Harewood". The Daily Telegraph. 11 July 2011.
- RootsAndLeaves.com, Genealogy and Family History – Lascelles (Harewood) Family
- thePeerage.com, Person Page – 10159
|Lines of succession|
|Line of succession to the British throne
grandson Mary, daughter of George V
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|Earl of Harewood
11 July 2011 – present