David Seymour Latchman
|Organization||Birkbeck, University of London, University College London|
|Known for||Master of Birkbeck, University of London|
David Seymour Latchman CBE (born 1956) is a British geneticist and university administrator. Since 2003 he has been Master of Birkbeck, University of London, and since 1999 professor of genetics and University College London.
Born into a Jewish family, Latchman was educated at The Haberdashers' Aske's Boys' School and received his doctorate from University of Cambridge before undertaking postdoctoral research at Imperial College London and in the Department of Biology at University College London. He worked in the Medical Molecular Biology Unit at UCL, and Middlesex School of Medicine. He has been Professor of Molecular Pathology and Director of the Windeyer Institute of Medical Science at UCL and was Dean of the Institute for Child Health (1999–2002).  He serves on several Committees including London Development Agency (observer status); Universities UK Research Policy Network; Confederation of British Industry (CBI) London Council; National DNA Database Ethics Group; London First Board member.
On July 1st 2019 it was reported by the Guardian and Buzzfeed news that a research misconduct claim against Latchman had been upheld. In 2018, the Daily Telegraph reported that the enquiry launched in 2017 had found two scientists at the Institute guilty of misconduct by manipulating images in seven published research papers in which Latchman was also cited as an author. 
As Master of Birkbeck, he has voiced protest at UK government proposals to cut funding for second degrees. Latchman is a vocal advocate for part time degrees and calling for government support to improve access for adults to higher education.
In early 2017 it was announced he was facing a further investigation.
- "The Master". Birkbeck University of London. Retrieved 3 October 2019.
- William D. Rubinstein, Michael Jolles, Hilary L. Rubinstein, The Palgrave Dictionary of Anglo-Jewish History, Palgrave Macmillan (2011), p. 550
- Turner, Camilla (2018-05-16). "Leading university embroiled in major research scandal". The Telegraph.
- "The Master — Governance and Committees". Birkbeck, University of London.
- Sample, Ian (July 2019). "Research misconduct claim upheld against former head of UCL lab". The Guardian.
- "Documents Reveal Widespread Data Fraud in a Leading UK Scientist's Lab". Buzzfeed.
- Turner, Camilla (16 May 2018). "Leading university embroiled in major research scandal". The Telegraph.
- David Latchman, 'Want a second degree? It'll certainly cost you...', The Independent, 15 November 2007
- Latchman, David (13 December 2018). "The UK government must act to save part-time higher education". Times Higher Education. Retrieved 13 December 2018.
- Sample, Ian (3 January 2017). "Top UK geneticist faces new inquiry over claims of research misconduct". The Guardian.
- "No. 59446". The London Gazette (Supplement). 12 June 2010. p. 7.
- Publisher's bio
- Works by or about David Latchman in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Latchman's recent scientific papers[permanent dead link]
- Inaugural lecture
|This article about a British scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a geneticist or evolutionary biologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|