|Occupation||newspaper columnist and reporter|
|Known for||"Consumer Affairs" business column|
David Lazarus is an American business and consumer columnist who works for KTLA and worked for the Los Angeles Times from August 2007 to January 2022. His last column was published on January 28, 2022.
Early life and education
He attended Ojai Valley School and Crossroads School (Santa Monica, California) before heading north to attend and graduate from the University of California, Berkeley, where he earned a degree in history.
Before joining the LA Times staff in 2007, Lazarus worked as a columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle and a nightly talk radio host for San Francisco's KGO Radio. Lazarus also worked for The San Francisco Examiner,The Bangkok Post, and The Japan Times.
He won first place in the 2005 National Headliner Awards contest for business reporting. And the Society of Professional Journalists in Northern California named him "Journalist of the Year" in 2001. A media watchdog site, Grade the News, described him this way: "Since coming to the Chronicle from Wired News in 1999, David Lazarus has been one of the most prolific, and influential, writers at the paper." He is known for sticking up and helping ordinary people deal with problems "such as fighting telemarketers"  when no one else is able to step up.
Lazarus has often been interviewed about data breach issues (see Anthem medical data breach) and privacy matters on talk radio shows such as the Norman Goldman Show. He is also regularly seen on KTLA “Consumer Confidential” segments.
Lazarus lives in Southern California with his wife and son.
- Lazarus, David (28 January 2022). "Column: In this, my final column, one last consumer problem to be solved". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 7 February 2022.
- "Times goes north for consumer columnist". laobserved.com. 2007-07-19. Retrieved 2016-02-08.
- Lazarus, David (13 October 2015), "KTLA Author David Lazarus", KTLA
- Lazarus, David (28 May 2012). "Trying to make dollars and sense out of YouTube's partner program". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 28 May 2012.
- Lazarus, David (13 October 2015). "Contact AT&T's CEO, hear back from his lawyer". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- Lazarus, David (17 November 2015). "BMW's fear of lawsuits blinds it to a customer's idea". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 17 November 2015.
- "David Lazarus writes about how he got started on KGO". Kgoam810.com. Archived from the original on 2011-05-25.
- Lazarus, David (2 May 1997). "Judge to IBM: It's Not 1956 Anymore". Wired. Retrieved 22 December 2015.
- Stoll, Michael (2004-09-10). "Business Unusual". Grade the News. Retrieved 2013-09-12.
- Farnham, Alan (21 January 2014). "Fighting Telemarketers: When Do-Not-Call List Fails, These Strategies Work". ABC News. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- David Lazarus on Twitter https://twitter.com/davidlaz
- "David Lazarus – Business Columnist Los Angeles Times Privacy Proponent". kuci.org. 2007-11-14. Retrieved 2016-02-08.
- The Norman Goldman Show http://normangoldman.com
- Lazarus, David (8 September 2015). "Consumer Confidential: How to Avoid Bank Fees". KTLA. Retrieved 8 September 2015.
- Lazarus's articles at Los Angeles Times