David Leach (admiral)
|David Willoughby Leach|
17 July 1928 |
Subiaco, Western Australia
|Service/branch||Royal Australian Navy|
|Years of service||1942–1985|
|Commands held||Chief of Naval Staff (1982–85)
HM Australian Fleet (1979–80)
HMAS Perth (1968–69)
HMAS Vendetta (1964–66)
|Battles/wars||Second World War
|Awards||Companion of the Order of Australia
Commander of the Order of the British Empire
Lieutenant of the Royal Victorian Order
Leach was born in Subiaco, Western Australia, on 17 July 1928 to John Digby Leach, a First World War veteran and later Commissioner of Main Roads in Western Australia, and his wife Grace Lilian. Initially educated at Perth Modern School, Leach entered the Royal Australian Naval College in January 1942 aged thirteen.
Leach commanded the guided missile destroyers HMAS Vendetta and HMAS Perth during the Vietnam War for which he was appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire in 1969. In 1970 he managed naval liaison for the Royal Visit to Australia for which he was appointed a Lieutenant of the Royal Victorian Order.
He was appointed Flag Officer Commanding HM Australian Fleet in 1979 and Chief of the Naval Staff in 1982. He was made a Companion of the Order of Australia in June 1984, and retired in 1985.
- "Vice Admiral David Willoughby Leach". Who's Who in Australia Online. ConnectWeb. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Leach, John Digby" (PDF). First World War Nominal Roll. Australian War Memorial. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Leach, John Digby appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire". It's an Honour. Commonwealth of Australia. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Leach, David Willoughby". World War II Nominal Roll. Commonwealth of Australia. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- Hobart Association
- It's an honour – The Order of the British Empire – Commander (Military)
- It's an honour – The Royal Victorian Order – Lieutenant
- It's an honour – Companion of the Order of Australia
Vice Admiral Sir James Willis
|Chief of the Naval Staff
Admiral Michael Hudson
Rear Admiral James Willis
|Flag Officer Commanding HM Australian Fleet
Rear Admiral Peter Doyle