David Levin (businessman)
|Born||1963 (age 53–54)|
|Alma mater||Wadham College, Oxford|
David Levin (born 1963) is a British businessman. As the president and CEO of McGraw-Hill Education from 2014-2017, Mr. Levin sought to drive the company's ongoing transition from a traditional educational publisher to a full-spectrum digital education company. He has been a vocal proponent of the use of digital and adaptive technology in education. Prior to joining McGraw-Hill Education, Levin served as CEO of UBM plc.
As a child, Levin lived in Salisbury, Rhodesia (now Harare, Zimbabwe). His father was a political journalist, and in 1965, when Levin was two, the family were given a day to leave the country. In consequence he has expressed his gratitude to the opportunities given him to him in his adopted country, and about the advantages of immigration. He attended St Paul's School in London. Levin has a degree in Philosophy, Politics and Economics from Oxford University (1983), and an MBA from Stanford University (1984).
Levin succeeded Clive Hollick as the CEO of UBM plc on 5 April 2005. At UBM Levin set out to focus on building the business in emerging markets and live events, such as exhibitions, by buying smaller companies and selling print titles. He also encouraged the company to use digital media and mobile technologies. In so doing, he warned repeatedly that media companies must adopt new business models as fast as possible. Under his direction, UBM secured its position as one of the world's largest events businesses having expanded into new and emerging markets such as China, India, Brazil, Vietnam and Indonesia. On 16 September 2013 UBM announced David Levin’s resignation as Chief Executive Officer.
Prior to his time at UBM, Levin served as CEO of Symbian plc beginning in April 2002, when the company built the operating system to power the first generation of smartphones. He also held senior positions at Psion, Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC, Apax Partners, Universal Grinding Wheels of Stafford and Bain & Company.
Levin is married to Lindsay Levin, the founder and managing partner of Leaders’ Quest, a social enterprise that brings together leaders from all disciplines and sectors to use their influence to create change. David and Lindsay have three sons. He was on the finance committee of the Oxford University Press. His mother, Leah Levin OBE, was a director of the human rights organisation JUSTICE. His brother Jeremy Levin was named CEO of Teva Pharmaceutical Industries in 2012, the largest company in Israel by market cap. He was replaced by Erez Vigodman.
- "McGraw-Hill Education names David Levin as CEO". Yahoo. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- "United Business Media chief David Levin moves to McGraw-Hill". Financial Times. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- "McGraw-Hill Education Appoints Lloyd "Buzz" Waterhouse Interim President & CEO". Retrieved 22 October 2017.
- "Dawn of education's digital age: CEO". CNBC. Retrieved 11 August 2014.
- Ashton, James (16 August 2013). "UBM benefit from emerging market spree". London Evening Standard. Retrieved 22 August 2013.
- "David Levin: Executive Profile & Biography - BusinessWeek". Retrieved 7 March 2010.
- Tryhorn, Chris (17 December 2004). "UBM names Hollick successor". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 7 March 2010.
- Martinson, Jane (6 October 2006). "United Business Media chief David Levin". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 7 March 2010.
- Sabbagh, Dan (29 July 2005). "'Influential reader' brings a new vision to UBM empire". The Times. London. Retrieved 15 January 2013.
- Davoudi, Salamander (1 March 2011). "UBM benefit from emerging market spree". Financial Times. London. Retrieved 15 January 2013.
- Brummer, Alex (6 January 2010). "INTERVIEW: The pioneer searching for a digital future". This is Money. London. Retrieved 15 January 2013.
- Rushton, Katherine (26 February 2012). "David Levin: Print journalism? Software has eaten the business". The Telegraph. London. Retrieved 15 January 2013.
- Cookson, Robert (16 September 2013). "Levin to step down as UBM chief". Financial Times. London. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "The fight for digital dominance". The Economist. 21 November 2002. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Martin Ennals Foundation - The Board". Retrieved 15 January 2013.
- "International Alert – Our Trustees". Retrieved 15 January 2013.
- Griver, Simon (17 May 2012). "Meet Jeremy Levin, the new head of drugs firm Teva". The Jewish Chronicle. London. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- Articles authored by David Levin on LinkedIn Pulse.
- Recap of David Levin's Credentialing 2.0 panel discussion during the 2015 Goldman Sachs Global Education Conference.
- David Levin presenting at TransformingEDU 2015: Mobility, Open Platforms, and Measurable Outcomes: Making It All Work
- McGraw-Hill CEO David Levin promotes 'living content' for students | The Australian
- Scholars wary of technology 'over-promising and under-delivering' | Times Higher Ed, 2016
- Leading a Digital Transformation | Chief Executive Magazine, 2016
- McGraw-hill CEO on Open Learning | Financial Times, 2016
- Pop Quiz | eLiterate, 2016
- David Levin's remarks at the 2016 graduation ceremony of the Columbia School of Professional Studies | MHEducation.com, 2016
- David Levin receives 2016 Corporate Social Responsibility Award from the Foreign Policy Association | MHEducation.com, 2016
- The PIE News 2016 interview with David Levin of McGraw-Hill Education | ThePIENews.com, 2016
- David Levin at the 2016 Commission on Creating the Next in Education Speaker Series hosted by Georgia Tech, 2016
- More Colleges & Students Embrace Digital Learning, Says CEO | TheStreet, 2016
- David Levin's presentation for the 2016 IMPACT Speaker Series hosted by Georgia Tech | MHEducation.com, 2016
- David Levin discusses McGraw-Hill Education's 7-year agreement to provide a new math & science curriculum in the UAE | Bloomberg, 2016
- David Levin interview and Q&A with Denver Frederick on The Business of Giving (Podcast) | SoundCloud, 2017
- McGraw-Hill Education boss David Levin on how tech has changed how we learn | The Telegraph, 2017
- Learning Tailored for the iPad Generation | Financial Times, 2017
- Reinventing McGraw-Hill Education: CEO David Levin Talks New Connect Program, Company Changes | EdTech Times, 2017
- And Now for Something Completely Different | TD Magazine, 2017
- David Levin Discusses Software in the Classroom (Podcast) | Bloomberg Markets, 2017
- College Grads Saddled with Loan Debt as They Enter Workforce: Survey | CNBC, 2017
- David Levin receives 2017 Distinguished Leader in Education Award | Education Update, 2017
- How McGraw-Hill Education's CEO is Trying to Unlock the Potential of Every Learner | Fast Company, 2017
- McGraw-Hill CEO: A.I. in the Classroom is Here | CNBC, 2017
- Bridging the Gap: Cross-Sector Collaboration for Skills Development | 2017 Concordia Summit (recorded panel)