|Associate Justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court|
June 3, 2013
|Appointed by||Mark Dayton|
|Preceded by||Paul H. Anderson|
|United States Attorney for the District of Minnesota|
January 1994 – May 22, 1998
|Appointed by||Bill Clinton|
|Preceded by||Thomas B. Heffelfinger|
|Succeeded by||B. Todd Jones|
May 22, 1954 |
|Alma mater||Augustana College (B.A.)
Harvard University (J.D.)
David Lee Lillehaug (born May 22, 1954) is an Associate Justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court. He served as the United States Attorney for the District of Minnesota from 1994 to 1998.
Early life and education
Lillehaug was born in Waverly, Iowa and raised in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, where his father taught music. He attended Augustana College in Sioux Falls and graduated in 1976 with a B.A. summa cum laude. He later attended Harvard Law School, graduating in 1979 with a J.D. cum laude.
United States Attorney
Lillehaug was appointed by President Bill Clinton to serve as the United States Attorney for the District of Minnesota beginning in 1994. He stepped down on May 22, 1998 in order to run for Minnesota Attorney General.
1998 Minnesota Attorney General campaign
Lillehaug announced on May 27, 1998 that he was entering the race for the Minnesota Attorney General Minnesota Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party (DFL) nomination, joining already announced DFL candidates Mike Hatch and Ember Reichgott Junge. He placed second in the DFL primary that took place on September 15, 1998, losing to Mike Hatch.
2000 United States Senate campaign
On March 16, 1999, Lillehaug announced that he was entering the 2000 race for the United States Senate DFL nomination in Minnesota. He dropped out on June 3, 2000 after failing to win the DFL endorsement at the party convention that day. After withdrawing, he urged his supporters to support Minnesota State Senator Jerry Janezich, who ultimately won the party endorsement.
Minnesota Supreme Court
Lillehaug was appointed by Governor Mark Dayton on March 26, 2013 to serve as an Associate Justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court, replacing retiring Justice Paul H. Anderson. He began his term on June 3, 2013 and was formally invested on June 28, 2013.
Lillehaug is married to Winifred Smith. They have one daughter and reside in Edina, Minnesota. Lillehaug announced on May 29, 2013 that he has "highly curable" throat cancer and will undergo seven weeks of nonsurgical treatment beginning in mid-June. He said that the treatment will not affect his duties on the Minnesota Supreme Court.
- Lillehaug, David; Dayton, Mark (March 26, 2013). Lillehaug and Dayton take questions (Flash video). Vimeo. Event occurs at 03:25. Retrieved March 27, 2013.
- "Who Wants to be a Senator?". City Pages. May 31, 2000. Retrieved March 28, 2013.
- Bauerlein, Monika (March 6, 1996). "The Trials of David Lillehaug". City Pages. Retrieved March 26, 2013.
- "Governor Dayton appoints David Lillehaug to the Minnesota Supreme Court". The Office of the Governor Blog. State of Minnesota. March 26, 2013. Retrieved March 26, 2013.
- deFiebre, Conrad (May 22, 1998). "Attorney general race takes new turn; Lillehaug could alter DFL dynamics". Star Tribune. LexisNexis Academic. pp. 1B. Retrieved March 27, 2013.
- deFiebre, Conrad (May 28, 1998). "Attorney general battle brews for DFL; Lillehaug, Junge officially join Hatch for three-way primary race". Star Tribune. LexisNexis Academic. pp. 3B. Retrieved March 27, 2013.
- "Vote for Nomination for Attorney General by County; September 15, 1998 State Primary Election" (PDF). Minnesota Election Results 1998. Minnesota Legislative Reference Library. pp. 10–11. Retrieved March 27, 2013.
- Smith, Dane (March 17, 1999). "Lillehaug enters U.S. Senate race, challenging Grams". Star Tribune. LexisNexis Academic. pp. 1B. Retrieved March 27, 2013.
- Smith, Dane; Lopez Baden, Patricia; et al. (June 4, 2000). "Janezich wins battle in DFL; Legislator outlasts Ciresi, Lillehaug for Senate endorsement". Star Tribune. LexisNexis Academic. pp. 1A. Retrieved March 27, 2013.
- Black, Eric (March 26, 2013). "David Lillehaug will be the next Minnesota Supreme Court justice". MinnPost. Retrieved March 26, 2013.
- Lestrud, Howard (June 4, 2013). "Lillehaug sworn in June 3 to replace retiring Anderson on Minnesota Supreme Court". Princeton Union-Eagle. Retrieved June 5, 2013.
- Gauthier, Ryan (March 28, 2013). "Edina Resident Appointed to Minnesota Supreme Court". Edina Patch. Retrieved March 28, 2013.
- "David Lillehaug '76". Augustana Thought Leader Forum. Augustana College Office of Marketing & Communications. Retrieved March 28, 2013.
- Simons, Abby (May 29, 2013). "Minnesota Supreme Court appointee David Lillehaug says he has 'highly curable' throat cancer". Star Tribune. Retrieved May 29, 2013.
- Judge Profile: Associate Justice David L. Lillehaug, Minnesota Judicial Branch
Paul H. Anderson
|Associate Justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court