David Lloyd (academic)
David Lloyd is a professor of literature. He holds a B.A. (1977), an M.A. (1981), and a PhD (1982) in Literature and Colonialism, all from Cambridge University. Lloyd has been Professor of English at the University of California, Davis, and at the University of Southern California after previous appointments at Scripps College, Claremont, and the University of California, Berkeley. He became Professor of English at the University of California, Riverside in 2013.
Lloyd’s scholarship primarily addresses Irish literature and culture, colonialism and nationalism. He has also published several volumes of poetry.
Lloyd came to public attention as a leader of a movement calling for an academic and cultural boycott of Israel. In response to the concerns that the boycott is a violation of academic freedom, Lloyd responded, “Israeli institutions are complicit in immense infringement on Palestinian academic freedom, so it’s really hard, it seems to me, for Israeli institutions to claim the rights of academic freedom that they are so systematically denying to their Palestinian counterparts.”
In a subsequent interview, Lloyd stated that "In the end, what we're aiming at is a full boycott of Israel, both academic and economic."
- Irish Culture and Colonial Modernity, 1800 - 2000: The transformation of oral space (2011)
- Nationalism and Minor Literature: James Clarence Mangan and the Emergence of Irish Cultural Nationalism (1987)
- Anomalous States: Irish Writing and the Postcolonial Moment (1993)
- Ireland After History (2000)
- Irish Times: Temporalities of Modernity, Field Day Books, Dublin, 2008
- The Nature and Context of Minority Discourse, co-edited with Abdul JanMohamed (1991)
- The Politics of Culture in the Shadow of Capital, co-edited with Lisa Lowe (1997)
- Culture and the State, co-authored with Paul Thomas (1997)
- Academic site at University of California - Davis
- Distinguished Scholar to Join English Department as Target of Excellence Hire, Humanities, Arts & Cultural Studies, University of California - Davis.
- Israel Boycott Movement Comes to U.S. by Elizabeth Redden, Inside Higher Ed, Jan. 26, 2009
- U.S. Professors call for Academic, Cultural Boycott of Israel for First Time, Raphael Ahren, Haaretz, Jan. 29. 2009
- USACBI response to AAUP statement on academic boycott, Statement authored by David Lloyd, May 10, 2013.
- Boycott Promotes Debate by David Lloyd, Daily Trojan, February 17, 2009.
- Boycott & Divestment Efforts Proliferate on Campus, Anti-Defamation League (ADL), April 8, 2009.
|This biography of an American academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|