David Lucas (footballer)
|Full name||David Anthony Lucas|
|Date of birth||23 November 1977|
|Place of birth||Preston, England|
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|1994–2004||Preston North End||123||(0)|
|1995||→ Darlington (loan)||6||(0)|
|1996||→ Darlington (loan)||7||(0)|
|1996–1997||→ Scunthorpe United (loan)||6||(0)|
|2003||→ Sheffield Wednesday (loan)||7||(0)|
|2003–2004||→ Sheffield Wednesday (loan)||10||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 22:06, 22 March 2013 (UTC).
Lucas currently acts as the goalkeeper coach at Fleetwood, as well as retaining his registration as the club's senior goalkeeper. He has made 307 appearances in the Football League, including 118 for Preston North End.
Lucas began his career at his hometown club Preston North End in the Football League Third Division. He spent time on loan at Darlington, Scunthorpe United, and Sheffield Wednesday, before signing for Sheffield Wednesday in 2004. He then joined rivals Barnsley in 2007, but only made three appearances for them before signing with Leeds United in the same year. After spending much of the 2007–08 season as an unused substitute, he began to establish himself as the first choice goalkeeper at Elland Road, impressing manager Gary McAllister with a series of good displays continuing into the following season. He made a number of appearances before being dropped in December, subsequently only appearing on the bench. He signed for Swindon Town in June 2009. Lucas had a successful season in which he played a major part in Swindon reaching the Football League One play-offs. Lucas' contract with Swindon was terminated one year early by mutual consent, and he signed a one-year deal with Rochdale on 3 August 2011, taking up a player/coach role. Lucas was released by Rochdale at the end of the season, before he signed a one-year contract with Championship club Birmingham City on 10 July 2012. He made one appearance before leaving when the January 2013 transfer window opened, to join League Two club Fleetwood Town, reuniting with former Preston North End teammates Graham Alexander, now manager of Fleetwood, and first team coach Chris Lucketti.
Lucas has played internationally for England, five times at under-18 and four times at under-20 level.
Preston North End
As a young goalkeeper, Lucas started his career at Preston North End. He went on to spend nearly ten years as a professional at the Lancashire club, punctuated by loan appearances for Darlington, Scunthorpe and Sheffield Wednesday. Lucas was capped by England under-18 and under-20 teams while a Preston player.
Lucas had another spell at Sheffield Wednesday, having signed a permanent deal with the Yorkshire side in the summer of 2004 after impressing during his two loan spells the previous season. During Wednesday's promotion season of 2004–05, Lucas made 41 appearances for the team and totalled 15 clean sheets, despite twice having to battle against injuries.
Lucas started the first 18 matches of Sheffield Wednesday's 2005–06 campaign before a knee injury again ruled him out until January. His comeback was short-lived and Lucas was injured again against Millwall on 4 February 2006 after playing only two full games; the new injury again ruled him out until January 2007.
Lucas announced that he would not be renewing his contract with Sheffield Wednesday at the end of the 2005–06 season, although he continued to receive treatment at their training ground whilst he was recovering from his knee injury.
Lucas subsequently joined South Yorkshire rivals Barnsley on a free transfer in January 2007, but only made three appearances for them. During his first game for Barnsley, he came out to deal with a high ball and collided with the Derby County player Giles Barnes. He was knocked unconscious and left the field on a spinal board after several minutes' treatment. He was expected to need at least ten days to recover from concussion.
He was released in May 2009.
Lucas signed for Swindon Town in June 2009 on a two-year contract. He was assigned the number 1 jersey with previous incumbent Phil Smith being relegated to the number 12. Lucas had a successful season, which played a major part in Swindon reaching the Football League One play-offs. He played in both legs of the semi-final against Charlton Athletic, but injured his shoulder in the second minute of the second leg and played no further part in the competition.
Lucas' contract with Swindon was terminated one year early by mutual consent, and he signed a one-year deal with Rochdale on 3 August 2011, taking up a player/coach role. He made his Rochdale playing debut in the League Cup against Chesterfield on 9 August. Lucas was released by Rochdale at the end of the season.
Birmingham City and Fleetwood Town
Lucas signed a one-year contract with Championship club Birmingham City on 10 July 2012. He made his debut on 14 August in the first round of the League Cup at home to Barnet. That was the only appearance he made before leaving when the January 2013 transfer window opened. He joined League Two club Fleetwood Town, reuniting with former Preston North End teammates Graham Alexander, now manager of Fleetwood, and first team coach Chris Lucketti. He joined as goalkeeping coach while retaining his playing registration. He made his league début for Fleetwood on 16 February 2013 against Burton Albion coming on as a substitute in the 57th minute after regular goalkeeper Scott Davies was sent off. Lucas let in four goals and the game ended in a 4–0 defeat.
- "David Lucas". The Football Association. Retrieved 19 August 2012.
- "Keeper Lucas to quit Hillsborough". BBC Sport. 19 June 2006. Retrieved 1 August 2009.
- "Barnsley snap up Lucas and McCann". BBC Sport. 3 January 2007. Retrieved 1 August 2009.
- Rumsby, Ben (31 March 2007). "Barnsley 1 Derby 2". sportinglife.com (365 Media Group). PA Sport. Retrieved 19 August 2012.
- Blackburn, Martin (1 April 2007). "Barnsley 1 Derby 2". The Sun. Retrieved 19 August 2012.
- "Goalkeeper Lucas earns Leeds deal". BBC Sport. 11 September 2007. Retrieved 1 August 2009.
- "Douglas and Lucas to leave Leeds". BBC Sport. 22 May 2009. Retrieved 1 August 2009.
- "Swindon bring in goalkeeper Lucas". BBC Sport. 2 June 2009. Retrieved 10 July 2009.
- "Updated squad list". Swindon Town F.C. 5 August 2009. Archived from the original on 2 October 2009.
- "Lucas Joins Ranks". Rochdale A.F.C. 3 August 2011. Retrieved 10 August 2011.
- "David Lucas becomes Birmingham City's latest signing". BBC Sport. 10 July 2012. Retrieved 19 August 2012.
- "Blues hammer sorry Bees in cup". BBC Sport. 14 August 2012. Retrieved 19 August 2012.
- "Lucas joins Fleetwood". Birmingham City F.C. 1 January 2013. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- "Fleetwood 0–4 Burton". BBC Sport. 16 February 2013. Retrieved 1 November 2014.