|Member of the Illinois Senate
from the 58th district
September 1995 – January 11, 2017
|Preceded by||Ralph A. Dunn|
|Succeeded by||Paul Schimpf|
November 8, 1940 |
Lively Grove, Illinois
|Children||Three sons, One daughter|
|Alma mater||St. Louis University B.A.
Southern Illinois University M.Ed
Luechtefeld was born November 8, 1940 in Lively Grove, Illinois. He graduated high school from Okawville High School in 1958 and earned his bachelor's degree from St. Louis University in 1962. He taught and coached basketball at Okawville High School until he retired in 1993.
In September 1995, Luechtefeld was appointed state senator for the 58th district to fill the vacancy left by the resignation of 81-year-old Senator Ralph A. Dunn, who resigned to take care of his wife while taking a position with the Illinois State Treasurer's office. The 58th district included all or portions of St. Clair, Monroe, Washington, Randolph, Jackson and Union counties in Downstate Illinois.
In 1996, Luechtefeld ran against SIU political science professor Barb Brown in what became the most expensive and closest state legislative race of the entire cycle with Brown down by only 127 votes. Controversially, on election night, Monroe County election judges failed to initial approximately 500 ballots. Brown asked for a recount. By state law the decision was left in the hands of the Illinois Senate. The Republican majority Senate seated Luechtefeld. In 1998, Brown ran against Luechtefeld again, but lost by a larger margin. Since then, Luechtefeld has never received less than 60% of the vote.
His committee assignments at one point included Agriculture, Education, Executive, Financial Institutions, and Higher Education. He served as the minority spokesperson on the Education and Higher Education committees. He was also a member of the Subcommittee on Election Law. In June 2015, Senator Luechtefeld announced his retirement after twenty years in Springfield.
- "Senator David S. Luechtefeld (R) - 58th District - Assistant Republican Leader". Illinois General Assembly. 2015-01-15. Retrieved 2015-07-07.
- Parker, Molly (2015-06-03). "Sen. Luechtefeld not seeking re-election in 2016". The Southern. Retrieved 2015-07-07.
- Gauen, Patrick E. (2015-06-03). "A View from Metro East: There will be a rematch of the most expensive legislative contest". Illinois Issues. University of Illinois at Springfield. Retrieved 2015-07-07.
- Wheeler III, Charles N (1992-11-30). "Redistricting '91: the World Series of Illinois politics". Illinois Issues. Northern Illinois University Libraries. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "Election Results - General Election (11/3/1998)". Illinois State Board of Elections. Retrieved 2015-08-29.
- "Election Results - General Election (11/5/2002)". Illinois State Board of Elections. Retrieved 2015-08-29.
- "Election Results - General Election (11/7/2006)". Illinois State Board of Elections. Retrieved 2015-08-29.
- "Election Results - General Election (11/2/2010)". Illinois State Board of Elections. Retrieved 2015-08-29.
- "Election Results - General Election (11/6/2012)". Illinois State Board of Elections. Retrieved 2015-08-29.