David Lytton-Cobbold, 2nd Baron Cobbold
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
He was born David Antony Fromanteel Cobbold, but changed his name by deed poll to have the surname 'Lytton-Cobbold' on 10 January 1961. He is a member of the Lytton family (Earls of Lytton) through his mother. In keeping with family tradition, Cobbold was educated at Eton College and Cambridge University (Trinity College).
David Cobbold was an executive in the International Banking Department of Bank of London and South America (BOLSA) in the late 1960s, under Edward Clifton-Brown. BOLSA was one of the first banks in the Eurodollar market, developed by Sir George Bolton, Chairman of BOLSA. He was increasingly drawn into the management of Knebworth House, for public events, so he left banking and dedicated himself to the house and estate.
House of Lords
Lytton-Cobbold inherited the title Baron Cobbold on 1 November 1987 and was appointed to be a Deputy Lieutenant by the Lord Lieutenant of Hertfordshire on 8 June 1993. He was one of the ninety hereditary peers elected to remain in the House of Lords after the passing of the House of Lords Act 1999. A runner-up in the initial election that year, he replaced Myrtle Robertson, 11th Baroness Wharton following her death on 15 October 2000.
Styles of address
- 1937–1960: Mr David Cobbold
- 1960–1961: The Hon. David Cobbold
- 1961–1987: The Hon. David Lytton-Cobbold
- 1987–1993: The Rt Hon. The Lord Cobbold
- 1993–: The Rt Hon. The Lord Cobbold DL
They had four children.
- The heir, and current occupier of the family seat Knebworth House, is Henry Lytton-Cobbold b. 12 May 1962. Lord Cobbold's other children are:
- Peter b. 25 Nov 1964
- Richard b. 31 Jul 1968, who served as Page of Honour to HM Queen Elizabeth II in 1980.
- Rosina b. 14 Dec 1971, who had a child with Stephen Myburgh.
- Kidd, Charles; Shaw, Christine (25 July 2008). Debrett's Peerage & Baronetage 2008. Debrett's Limited. p. 299. ISBN 978-1-870520-80-5. Retrieved 20 February 2011.
- "No. 42249". The London Gazette. 13 January 1961. p. 303.
- "David Antony Fromanteel Lytton Cobbold, 2nd Baron Cobbold". The Peerage. Retrieved 2 February 2017.
- Lewis, Dave (2004). Led Zeppelin: The 'Tight But Loose' Files; Celebration 2. Omnibus Press. pp. 65–. ISBN 978-1-84449-056-1. Retrieved 20 February 2011.
- "No. 53328". The London Gazette. 8 June 1993. p. 9835.
- Schaefer, Sarah (30 March 1999). "Parliament: House Of Lords: Peers begin two-day debate on `radical, historic' reform". The Independent. Retrieved 20 February 2011.
- "Retired members of the House of Lords". UK Parliament. Retrieved 2 February 2017.
- "High Society: Whatever happened to the last of the debs?". Independent.
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
| Baron Cobbold
Hon. Henry Lytton-Cobbold
|This biography of a baron in the peerage of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|