David W. C. MacMillan
|Born||1968 (age 51–52)|
|Alma mater||University of Glasgow (BSc)|
University of California, Irvine (PhD)
Member of the National Academy of Sciences (2018)
|Doctoral advisor||Larry E. Overman|
|Other academic advisors||Ernest W. Colvin|
David A. Evans
|Doctoral students||Vy Dong|
Education and early life
In 1990, he left the UK to begin his doctoral studies under the direction of Professor Larry Overman at the University of California, Irvine. During this time, he focused on the development of new reaction methodology directed toward the stereocontrolled formation of bicyclic tetrahydrofurans. MacMillan's graduate studies culminated in the total synthesis of 7-(−)-deacetoxyalcyonin acetate, a eunicellin deterpenoid isolated from soft coral Eunicella stricta.
Career and research
Upon receiving his Ph.D., MacMillan accepted a position with Professor David Evans at Harvard University. His postdoctoral studies centered on enantioselective catalysis, in particular, the design and development of Sn(II)-derived bisoxazoline complexes (Sn(II)box).
MacMillan began his independent research career as a member of the chemistry faculty at the University of California, Berkeley in July 1998. He joined the department of chemistry at Caltech in June 2000, where his group's research interests centered on new approaches to enantioselective catalysis. In 2004, he was appointed as the Earle C. Anthony Professor of Chemistry. For personal reasons, he moved to Princeton University in September 2006.
MacMillan's research group has made many advances in the field of asymmetric organocatalysis, and they have applied these new methods to the synthesis of a range of complex natural products.
Honours and awards
- 2004 Corday-Morgan medal of Royal Institute of Chemistry
- 2012 Elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS)
- 2013 Elected a Corresponding Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh (FRSE)
- 2015 Harrison Howe Award
- 2017 Ryoji Noyori Prize
- 2018 Elected a member of the National Academy of Sciences
- http://royalsociety.org/people/david-macmillan/ Professor David MacMillan FRS
- "David MacMillan - The MacMillan Group". Princeton University. Retrieved 16 October 2010.
- A short interview of Professor MacMillan is available on the Eminent Organic Chemists Page provided by the ACS Organic Division
- "Caltech Faculty Awards and Honors 2004–2005" (PDF). California Institute of Technology. Archived from the original (PDF) on 11 August 2011. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- "New Fellows 2012". Royal Society. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- "Professor David William Cross MacMillan FRS, CorrFRSE - The Royal Society of Edinburgh". The Royal Society of Edinburgh. Retrieved 1 February 2018.
- "The Society of SynthRyoji Noyori Prize Recipients". www.ssocj.jp (in Japanese). Society of Synthetic Organic Chemistry, Japan. Archived from the original on 22 October 2017. Retrieved 2 November 2017.