David Marsh (financial specialist)
|Alma mater||Queen's College Oxford|
David Wayne Marsh CBE is a British financial specialist, business consultant and writer on political, economic and monetary issues.
Career and Education
Marsh started his career at Reuters in 1973 having graduated with a BA in chemistry from Queen's College Oxford. Between 1978 and 1995 he worked for the Financial Times in France and Germany, latterly as European Editor in London.
Following his journalism career, Marsh worked for City merchant bank Robert Fleming, corporate finance boutique Hawkpoint and German management consultancy Droege, where he built its UK subsidiary. He is former co-founder, chairman and deputy chairman of the German-British Forum.
Currently he is a Senior Adviser to asset management company Soditic and Chairman of the Advisory Board of the London & Oxford Group. He is also a Board Member of Henderson Eurotrust, and the British Chamber of Commerce in Germany, and visiting Professor at Sheffield University’s department of politics and The Policy Institute at King's College London.
In 2010, Marsh co-founded the Official Monetary and Financial Institutions Forum (OMFIF), where he serves as Managing Director.
He is a frequent commentator in Europe and the US, writing articles for The Wall Street Journal's MarketWatch, and German newspaper Handelsblatt. He contributes occasionally to other media outlets that include Financial Times, New York Times, and Daily Mail.
Marsh is Managing Director and co-founder of OMFIF, which serves as an independent platform for dialogue and research that links central banks, sovereign funds and private sector financial groups. OMFIF provides meetings and research that focus on economic and monetary policy, financial supervision and asset management. OMFIF’s website, monthly publication The Bulletin, and annual publication Global Public Investor are the main vehicles used to disseminate OMFIF’s work. Marsh is the editor of The Bulletin, and Global Public Investor.
Marsh’s most recent project has been the establishment of OMFIF Press, which focuses on publishing books on monetary and economic matters. These books highlight topics such as international monetary reform, the workings of the financial markets, geopolitical issues and energy. OMFIF Press was established in early 2015 and published its first book, The Tides of Capital by Julia Leung, later the same year.
- The Tides of Capital by Julia Leung (2015)
- The Convergence of Nations: Why Africa’s time is now by Jean-Claude Bastos de Morais (2015)
Awards and Honours
In 2000 Marsh was appointed as a Commander of The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire for services to Anglo-German relations. and was awarded the German Order of Merit (Bundesverdienstkreuz) in 2003.
Marsh has written five books, with his two most recent books published by Yale University Press. His books have been translated into Dutch, Spanish, Chinese, and Japanese.
- Germany – Rich, Bothered and Divided (1989)
- The Bundesbank – The Bank that Rules Europe (1992)
- Germany and Europe – The Crisis of Unity (1994)
- The Euro – The Politics of the New Global Currency (2009) – re-released in 2011 as The Battle for the New Global Currency.
- Europe's Deadlock: How the Crisis Could Be Solved - And Why It Won't Happen (2013). Updated in 2016 as Europe's Deadlock: How the Crisis Could Be Solved - And Why It Still Won't Happen..
- MARSH, David Wayne, Who's Who 2015, A & C Black, 2015; online edn, Oxford University Press, 2014
- "SCCO International - People - David Marsh.". www.scco.com. Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- "Visiting Professor - David Marsh". University of Sheffield. Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- "David Marsh CBE Managing Director, OMFIF | German British Forum". www.gbf.com. Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- "King's College London - Marsh, David". www.kcl.ac.uk. Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- "David Marsh - MarketWatch.com Topics". www.marketwatch.com. Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- "Helmut-Schmidt-Interview: Wanted – political leadership in Europe". www.handelsblatt.com. Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- Marsh, David; Simonian, Haig; Cramb, Gordon (2015-11-10). "Helmut Schmidt, German statesman, 1918-2015". Financial Times. ISSN 0307-1766. Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- Marsh, David (2010-05-17). "The Euro’s Lost Promise". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- "MONDAY VIEW: Why Germany must face up to a potential euro breakup". Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- "About OMFIF". OMFIF. Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- "China’s central bank tops global public investor list - Business News | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 2016-07-08.
- "OMFIF Press". OMFIF. Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- Kazer, William. "Writing China: Julia Leung, ‘The Tides of Capital’". Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- "BOOK LAUNCH - The Convergence of Nations: Why Africa's Time is Now | quantumglobal.ch". www.quantumglobal.ch. Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- "No. 55710". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 1999. p. 34.
- "The Euro by David Marsh - Yale University Press". yalebooks.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- "秦峰盈砚图书专营店". Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- "Europe's Deadlock by David Marsh - Yale University Press". yalebooks.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- "Marsh Book Launch". Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- "ヨーロッパの行き詰まり". Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- "《欧洲的未来》(大卫·马什...)【简介_书评_在线阅读】 - 当当图书". product.dangdang.com. Retrieved 2016-07-07.