|David J. Mayernik|
|Member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives
from the 29th district
January 4, 1983 – November 30, 2002
|Preceded by||Lori Heiser|
|Succeeded by||Bernie O'Neill|
|Constituency||Part of Allegheny County|
June 15, 1952 |
|Alma mater||Community College of Allegheny County
University of Pittsburgh
Allegheny County Police Academy
University of Pittsburgh
Widener University School of Law
David J. Mayernik is a former Democratic member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives. He is a 1970 graduate of North Hills High School. He earned an A.A. from the Allegheny Community College in 1972 and a B.A. from the University of Pittsburgh in 1974. In 1975, he graduated from the Allegheny County Police Academy. He earned an M.A. from University of Pittsburgh in 1981 and a J.D. from Widener University School of Law in 1993.
He was first elected to represent the 29th legislative district in 1982. During his legislative career, he had eleven prime sponsored bills and twenty-one amendments signed into law by four governors. In the decennial legislative redistricting following the 2000 census, his district was "diced" into seven other districts and moved across the state from Allegheny County to Bucks County, Pennsylvania by the House Democratic Caucus in the 2002 legislative re-apportionment plan, leaving him "scant chance of re-election." Democratic leaders were unhappy that he had crossed party lines and otherwise disobeying caucus leaders. He said, "They terminated me. This was Politics 101. It sends a message: Don't step out of line. Right now, I expect to be running. I'm just not sure where I'll be running." Instead, he retired prior to the 2002 election.
He has served as an adjunct professor at the University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public and International Affairs and as an instructor at the Allegheny County Police Academy. He is currently practicing law with the Pittsburgh law firm of Eckert Seamans.
- "SESSION OF 1983 - 167TH OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY - No. 1" (PDF). Legislative Journal. Pennsylvania House of Representatives. 1983-01-04.
- Per Article II, Section 2 of the Pennsylvania Constitution, the legislative session ended on November 30, 2002
- "David J. Mayernik (Democrat)". Official Pennsylvania House of Representatives Profile. Pennsylvania House of Representatives. Archived from the original on 2002-06-19.
- "David J. Mayernik, Member". Professional Directory. Eckert Seamans Cherin & Mellott, LLC. 2009. Archived from the original on 2008-09-08.
- M.R. Bull, John (2001-09-26). "Redistricting zaps Mayernik, Kaiser; Bodack's Senate seat kept intact". Pittsburgh Post Gazette. PG Publishing.
- "Keystone State Yearbook Committee". PoliticsPA. The Publius Group. 2001. Archived from the original on 2002-08-03.
- Pennsylvania House of Representatives - David J. Mayernik (Democrat) at the Wayback Machine (archived June 19, 2002) official PA House profile