David McCandless (born 1971) is a British data-journalist, and information designer based in London. He is the founder of the visual blog Information Is Beautiful. Early explorations into the synergy between data visualisation and his work as a journalist led to the development of Information Is Beautiful and the subsequent publication of his seminal book of the same name (US title ‘A Visual Miscellaneum’).
McCandless began his career writing for cult video game magazines such as Your Sinclair and PC Zone in the late 1980s and 1990s before moving on to work for The Guardian and Wired magazine. Since the publication of Information Is Beautiful in 2009, his information design work has appeared in numerous publications, including The Guardian, Wired, and Die Zeit, and has also been showcased at the Museum of Modern Art in New York, the Wellcome Trust gallery in London, and at the Tate Britain.
His second book Knowledge Is Beautiful was published in 2014.
McCandless is an alumnus of Westfield College.
- Information is Beautiful (2009)
- Knowledge is Beautiful (2014)
- Kirk, Andy (5 January 2011). "Visualisation Insights: #6 Data Journalist & Information Designer: David McCandless". VisualisingData.com.
I’m 38 years old
- Information is Beautiful (Kindle ed.). Collins. 2013. ASIN B00BAJ6G4O. Retrieved March 8, 2013.
- Visual Miscellaneum: The Bestselling Classic, Revised and Updated: A Colorful Guide to the World's Most Consequential Trivia (Revised ed.). Harper Design. 2012. ISBN 978-0062236524. Retrieved March 8, 2013.
- "The Hierarchy of Digital Distractions". Museum of Modern Art, New York. 2009. Retrieved 7 March 2013.
- "Bio". David McCandless. Retrieved 7 March 2013.
- Official website
- Information Is Beautiful: ideas, issues, knowledge, data — visualized!
- David McCandless profile & articles, The Guardian
- The Hierarchy of Digital Distractions digital exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art, New York
- Knowledge Is Beautiful by David McCandless – Review
- David McCandless at TED