David McSweeney (politician)
||The neutrality of this article is disputed. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Member of the Illinois House of Representatives
from the 52nd district
|Preceded by||Kent Gaffney|
|Born||1965 (age 51–52)
Park Ridge, Illinois, U.S.
|Alma mater||Duke University|
David McSweeney (born 1965) is a Republican politician and investment specialist from Barrington Hills, Illinois.
Early life, education and career
McSweeney was born in Park Ridge, Illinois and attended Barrington High School (Lake County, Illinois). He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in economics from Duke University in 1987 and a master of business administration degree from the Fuqua School of Business in 1988. He has worked as an investment banker, financial consultant and currently as an investment specialist, working for Banc of America Securities until April 2005. He has claimed a net worth in the millions.
In 1998, McSweeney unsuccessfully challenged incumbent Republican Phil Crane in the Republican primary for the 8th Congressional District in the United States House of Representatives elections, 1998.
McSweeney was the Republican nominee in Illinois's 8th congressional district election, 2006. He won in the six-way primary but lost to Melissa Bean in the general election with 44% of the vote to Bean's 51%.
In 2012 McSweeney was elected to the Illinois State Legislature, representing the 52nd Illinois State House District. McSweeney won the Republican nomination over incumbent Kent Gaffney, who had been appointed to the seat after the death of incumbent Mark Beaubien. In the general election, McSweeney defeated Beaubien's widow, Dee Beaubien, who ran as an Independent. No Democrat filed for the seat.
McSweeney won re-election in 2014 against Democrat Bill Downs with 70 percent of the vote.
McSweeney won re-election in 2016 after running unopposed.
On April 15, 2013, McSweeney filed a House resolution opposing a graduated income tax in Illinois. McSweeney also led the charge to oppose extending Illinois' income tax hike beyond the 2015 sunset date. He considers himself a strong conservative in both the fiscal and social sense. Rep. McSweeney is Lutheran.
In 2014, McSweeney co-sponsored HB 983 that helps prevent local governments from issuing bonds for projects that could result in higher property taxes. The measure went into effect on January 1, 2014. In the spring of 2015, McSweeney introduced a measure to freeze property taxes for one year in townships with less than 100,000 people.
In January 2015, McSweeney sponsored HB 173 to ban red light cameras. The legislation included a compromise which exempted the City of Chicago. House Bill 173 passed the Illinois House with 79 votes.
McSweeney sponsored a bill that was signed into law on July 26, 2016 that restricts the amount of money that non-home-rule local governments can spend on travelling, meals, and lodging, and bans spending on entertainment.
- Savodnik, Peter. "McSweeney intent on beating Bean in '06". The Hill. Retrieved 8 September 2012.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20050410172430/http://www.fec.gov/pubrec/fe1998/ilh.htm. Archived from the original on April 10, 2005. Retrieved April 21, 2006. Missing or empty
- "McSweeney wins three-way 52nd House District primary". Daily Herald. 21 March 2012. Retrieved 8 September 2012.
- "Election Results : General Election - 11/04/2014Z". Elections.il.gov. Retrieved 2016-02-19.
- "McSweeney Marks Tax Day with Resolution Opposing Graduated Income Tax - Illinois Review". Illinoisreview.typepad.com. 2013-04-15. Retrieved 2016-02-19.
- "Tax extension could come up in lame-duck session | Northwest Herald". Nwherald.com. Retrieved 2016-02-19.
- "Public Affairs: Dave McSweeney [R-8th CD candidate] on Social Issues". Jeffberkowitz.blogspot.com. 2005-05-30. Retrieved 2016-02-19.
- "Illinois General Assembly - Bill Status for HB0983". Ilga.gov. Archived from the original on 2015-05-18. Retrieved 2016-02-19.
- "Illinois General Assembly - Bill Status for HB0178". Ilga.gov. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2016-02-19.
- "Illinois General Assembly - Bill Status for HB0173". Ilga.gov. Archived from the original on 2016-03-05. Retrieved 2016-02-19.
- Representative David McSweeney (R) 52nd District at the Illinois General Assembly
- Illinois States Representative David McSweeney constituency site
- David McSweeney for State Representative
- Profile at Project Vote Smart
- Financial information (federal office) at the Federal Election Commission
- Campaign finance (2006 Illinois District 08) at Open Secrets
- 2012 Candidate questionnaire at The Chicago Tribune
- 2012 Candidate questionnaire at The Daily Herald
- 2012 Candidate questionnaire at the Northwest Herald