David Mitchell (fighter)
October 24, 1979 |
Berkeley, California, United States
|Other names||Crazy Train
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight||210.2 lb (95.3 kg; 15.01 st)|
|Reach||76 in (190 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Santa Rosa, California, United States|
|Team||Team Alpha Male
Nor-Cal Fighting Alliance (formerly)
|Rank||Purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under David Terrell
Black belt in Bwon Kup
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
David Mitchell (born October 24, 1979) is an American mixed martial artist currently competing in the Heavyweight division. A professional competitor since 2006, Mitchell has formerly competed for the UFC, the World Series of Fighting, and Tachi Palace Fights.
Mitchell was born in Berkeley, California but was raised in Laytonville, California. Mitchell competed in soccer through high school and then went to several community colleges before dropping out and working in construction for six years. Mitchell began training under David Terrell at Terrell's gym in Santa Rosa, California and year later began competing in professional mixed martial arts.
Mixed martial arts career
Mitchell made his professional MMA debut in 2006 and compiled an undefeated record of 11-0 with wins over War Machine, Bobby Green, Tim McKenzie, and Poppies Martinez before being signed by the UFC. Mitchell also won the Tachi Palace Fights Welterweight Championship by defeating McKenzie and then successfully defended the title against Martinez.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Mitchell was expected to fight Mike Swick on January 22, 2011 at UFC: Fight for the Troops 2. However, Mitchell was forced out of the fight with a back injury and Swick felt as if his stomach condition was not completely healed, so the bout was scrapped from the card altogether.
Mitchell was expected to face UFC newcomer Hyun Gyu Lim as a late replacement for Marcelo Guimarães on November 10, 2012 at UFC on Fuel TV 6. However, prior to the weigh in for the event, the bout was scrapped after Lim was declared medically unfit to compete by UFC doctors.
Following his loss to Cabral, Mitchell was released from the UFC.
Mitchell defeated Fernando Gonzalez in a Middleweight bout via TKO on February 15, 2014 at West Coast Fighting Championship 8. The victory marked the first time Mitchell has finished an opponent via strikes.
Mitchell was expected to take part in a one-night tournament at BattleGrounds MMA on October 3, 2014. However, he pulled out of the tournament.
On February 28, 2015 in Sacramento, California, USA Mitchell defeated Dave Huckaba via rear-naked choke in the second round to win both the ISCF (International Sport Combat Federation) West Coast Heavyweight Title and the WFC Heavyweight Title.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
- Tachi Palace Fights
- West Coast Fighting Championship
- WCFC Middleweight Championship (One time; current)
- WCFC Heavyweight Championship (One time; current)
- International Sport Combat Federation
- ISCF West Coast Heavyweight Champion (One time; current)
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|29 matches||22 wins||7 losses|
|Loss||22–7||Ibragim Chuzhigaev||TKO (punches)||ACB 54: Supersonic||March 11, 2017||3||Manchester, England|
|Win||22–6||Andy Manzolo||Submission (guillotine choke)||FFC 27: Night of Champions||December 17, 2016||2||1:30||Zagreb, Croatia||Won vacant FFC Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||21–6||Richard Blake||Submission (rear-naked choke)||KOTC: Unchallenged||October 8, 2016||1||0:48||Oroville, California, United States|
|Win||20–6||Dervin Lopez||Submission (rear-naked choke)||FFC 25: Mitchell vs. Lopez||June 11, 2016||2||1:09||Springfield, Massachusetts, United States|
|Loss||19–6||Max Griffin||KO (punch)||WFC 16: Griffin vs. Mitchell||January 23, 2016||1||0:43||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Loss||19–5||Marcel Fortuna||Decision (unanimous)||Dragon House 20||June 6, 2015||3||5:00||San Francisco, California, United States||For Dragon House Light-Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||19–4||Dave Huckaba||Submission (rear-naked choke)||WCFC 13: Huckaba vs. Mitchell||February 28, 2015||2||3:36||Sacramento, California, United States||Heavyweight debut; Won WCFC Heavyweight Championship and the ISCF MMA West Coast Heavyweight Title.|
|Win||18–4||Angel DeAnda||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Tachi Palace Fights 22||February 5, 2015||1||3:00||Lemoore, California, United States||Won vacant TPF Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||17–4||Justin Baesman||Submission (rear-naked choke)||WSOF 16||December 13, 2014||1||1:44||Sacramento, California, United States||Return to Middleweight.|
|Win||16–4||Michael Gonzalez||TKO (punches)||WFC 12: Ricetti vs. Emmett||November 15, 2014||1||3:42||Sacramento, California, United States||Light Heavyweight bout.|
|Win||15–4||Matt Major||Submission (guillotine choke)||WFC 11: Mitchell vs. Major||September 13, 2014||1||4:47||Sacramento, California, United States||Won vacant WCFC Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||14–4||Jaime Jara||Submission (rear-naked choke)||WFC 9: Mitchell vs. Jara||April 26, 2014||1||4:15||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Win||13–4||Fernando Gonzalez||TKO (punches)||WFC 8: Avila vs. Berkovic||February 15, 2014||3||1:45||Sacramento, California, United States||Middleweight bout.|
|Loss||12–4||Yan Cabral||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Maia vs. Shields||October 9, 2013||3||5:00||Barueri, São Paulo, Brazil|
|Loss||12–3||Mike Pierce||TKO (punches)||UFC 162||July 6, 2013||2||2:55||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||12–2||Simeon Thoresen||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Dodson||January 26, 2013||3||5:00||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Loss||11–2||Paulo Thiago||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 134||August 27, 2011||3||5:00||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Loss||11–1||TJ Waldburger||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Marquardt vs. Palhares||September 15, 2010||3||5:00||Austin, Texas, United States|
|Win||11–0||Poppies Martinez||Technical Submission (triangle choke)||Tachi Palace Fights 5||July 9, 2010||1||1:32||Lemoore, California, United States||Defended TPF Welterweight Championship.|
|Win||10–0||Tim McKenzie||Submission (guillotine choke)||Tachi Palace Fights 4||May 5, 2010||1||1:10||Lemoore, California, United States||Won vacant TPF Welterweight Championship.|
|Win||9–0||Bobby Green||Submission (heel hook)||TPF 2: Brawl in the Hall||December 3, 2009||1||0:54||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Win||8–0||War Machine||Decision (split)||TPF 1: Tachi Palace Fights 1||October 8, 2009||3||5:00||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Win||7–0||Josh Neal||Submission (armbar)||CCFC 10: Battle for NorCal||February 21, 2009||1||0:28||Santa Rosa, California, United States|
|Win||6–0||Jeff Morris||Submission (armbar)||CCFC: Mayhem||May 17, 2008||1||1:47||Santa Rosa, California, United States|
|Win||5–0||Andy Maccarone||Decision (unanimous)||CCFC: Meltdown||August 18, 2007||3||5:00||Yuba City, California, United States|
|Win||4–0||Drew Dimanlig||Submission (armbar)||CCFC: Total Elimination||May 12, 2007||2||N/A||Santa Rosa, California, United States|
|Win||3–0||Jeff Harmon||Submission (rear-naked choke)||CCFC: Throwdown at the Pavilion||November 4, 2006||2||1:23||Santa Rosa, California, United States|
|Win||2–0||Kenneth Johnson||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Gladiator Challenge 55: Beatdown||October 14, 2006||1||2:54||Lakeport, California, United States|
|Win||1–0||John Corstorphine||Submission (triangle choke)||Gladiator Challenge 52: Deep Impact||July 8, 2006||1||3:30||Lakeport, California, United States|
- "Anthony "TJ" Waldburger slated for UFC debut during "UFC Fight Night 22"". FIVEOUNCESOFPAIN.com. 2010-07-16. Retrieved 2010-09-13.
- "Mike Swick vs. David Mitchell at UFC Fight For The Troops 2". MMAWeekly.com. Retrieved 2010-11-01.
- "David Mitchell Out of UFC Fight For The Troops; Mike Swick Off The Card". mmaweekly.com. December 30, 2010.
- "Welterweights Thiago, Mitchell Matched for UFC 'Rio'". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2011-05-02.
- Staff (2012-10-10). "UFC 'Macao:' Hyun Gyu vs David Mitchell booked with Marcelo Guimarães injured". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2012-10-10.
- Staff (2012-11-09). "David Mitchell awarded show money after Hyun Gyu Lim pulled from UFC on FUEL TV 6". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-11-09.
- "UFC on Fox 6 Gets David Mitchell vs. Simeon Thoresen". mmaweekly.com. December 3, 2012.
- Staff (April 12, 2013). "Mike Pierce vs. David Mitchell targeted for UFC 162". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved April 12, 2013.
- Guilherme Cruz (August 29, 2013). "Yan Cabral signs with the UFC, fights David Mitchell in Brazil". mmafighting.com. Retrieved August 29, 2013.
- Zane Simon (October 28, 2013). "Matt Hamill, Nandor Guelmino, and David Mitchell removed from UFC rosters". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2014-06-23.
- MixedMartialArts.com Staff (February 15, 2014). "West Coast Fighting 8 - Pro Fights Official Results". mixedmartialarts.com. Retrieved 2014-06-23.
- Bryan Henderson (April 24, 2014). "Out of Obscurity: West Coast FC 9, XFCi 4 and Deep 66 Impact". themmacorner.com. Retrieved 2014-06-23.
- Tapology.com Staff (April 26, 2014). "David Mitchell vs. Jaime Jara". tapology.com. Retrieved 2014-06-23.
- MMAJunkie.com Staff (June 17, 2014). "UFC vet-heavy BattleGrounds one-night tourney shifts to Oct. 3, now on PPV". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-06-23.