||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Full name||David Andrés Monsalve|
|Date of birth||December 21, 1988|
|Place of birth||North York, Ontario, Canada|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|CS Azzurri Toronto|
|2008–2009||North York Astros||6||(0)|
|2009–2011||FC Inter Turku||14||(0)|
|2009–2010||→ Sinimustat (dual registration)||12||(0)|
|2015||América de Cali||4||(0)|
|2016–2017||FC Inter Turku||1||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 21:56, 5 June 2016 (UTC).
He was brought in during the 2007 season by Toronto FC as an injury relief player. Monsalve made his MLS and professional debut on July 29 against the Chicago Fire. He is the youngest goalkeeper to play a game in the MLS. He was also the goalkeeper in a friendly against Aston Villa a couple of days earlier. Although both games were lost by TFC he impressed both his manager and the fans with his abilities. His MLS rights are held by Toronto FC. On July 27 he was called up for the game against New York Red Bulls.
Monsalve made his Veikkausliiga and FC Inter Turku debut on July 1 against Tampere United. He replaced the first choice goalkeeper Patrick Bantamoi who had been sent off previous game against HJK on 85 minutes and had been banned. Monsalve was also sent off. He was replaced by FC Inter Turku's third goalkeeper young Eemeli Reponen. Third game in row with different goalkeeper at start XI.
On October 31, 2009, Monsalve got to lift the Finnish Cup trophy for the first time in his club's (FC Inter Turku) history. Monsalve played the whole match in goal when his team beat Tampere United 1–2.
On January 28, 2011 it was verified that Monsalve was on trial with his former team Toronto FC, and was making the pre-season trip to Turkey. He was one of three Canadian Internationals that were on trial for the MLS side, Eddy Sidra and midfielder Gianluca Zavarise.
Return to Canada
Return to Finland
Monsalve returned to North America after the 2014 Ykkönen season to try and sign a contract closer to home. He trialed with the Jacksonville Armada ahead of their inaugural season in the NASL. Monsalve would reveal after his trial ended that he was asked by Jacksonville if he could quit playing soccer for a year and wait to receive a U.S. green card so he could sign with the team and not take up an international spot. Monsalve refused and he went to Colombia and signed for América de Cali in the Categoría Primera B in early January 2015. He made his debut in a promotion play-off tournament match against Deportivo Pereira on January 21, which ended in a 1-1 draw. Monsalve made his league debut against Universitario Popayán, coming in as a substitute after an injury to starting goalkeeper John Meneses.
During March 2008 he was on the roster of the Canadian U-23 men's national soccer team which had placed 3rd in the 2008 CONCACAF Men's Olympic Qualification Tournament.
More than five years after his debut and only cap, Monsalve was set to be called up for friendlies against Guatemala and Puerto Rico in March 2015, but declined the call due to an goalkeeper injury crisis at his club, América de Cali.
David's parents were both born in Colombia and David can speak both English and Spanish.
FC Inter Turku
- http://www.iltalehti.fi/jalkapallo/200907029868041_vg.shtml (Finnish)
- http://www.rednationonline.ca/Monsalve_and_FC_Inter_Turku_Win_2009_Finnish_Cup_oct_30_09_news.shtml Monsalve and FC Inter Turku win 2009 Finnish Cup
- http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01/canadian-trialists-board Monsalve and Canadian Trialists On Board
- http://www.fcedmonton.com/news/2011-08-02/Keeper%20Signs%20with%20FC%20Edmonton Keeper Signs With FC Edmonton
- "Steven Sandor Talks About the Issues Canadian Players Face". March 20, 2015.
- "Deportivo Pereira vs. América de Cali 1 - 1". January 21, 2015. Retrieved March 21, 2015.
- "América de Cali vs. Universitario Popayán 1 - 1". March 14, 2015.
- . January 4, 2016 https://www.facebook.com/FutNacionalGt/posts/585545201592675. Missing or empty
- . January 17, 2016 https://twitter.com/cparedes_eu/status/688845255043502080. Missing or empty
- FIFA official site
- Canada Soccer
- "Jamaica beats Canada 1-0 in men's soccer friendly". Canadian Press. Retrieved February 2, 2010.
- "Quiero quedarme, dar la cara y buscar los resultados con América". March 18, 2015.
- Canada Soccer Profile