David Mullins (jockey)
|Born||6 June 1996|
Goresbridge, County Kilkenny
|Major racing wins|
|Morgiana Hurdle (2015)|
Grand National (2016)
|Nichols Canyon, Rule The World|
David James Mullins (born 6 June 1996) is a National Hunt jockey. He is the son of Tom Mullins and grandson of Paddy Mullins. He is one of the retained jockeys for his uncle, the multiple Irish champion trainer Willie Mullins.
David Mullins became involved with horse racing at the age of 15 and quickly gained notoriety in only his second year of riding at 19 years old when he was still claiming a 3 pounds allowance as a conditional jockey. In that first part of the 2015/16 National Hunt campaign he recorded his first major successes for his uncle Willie Mullins, initially winning a Grade 2 event on board of Devis Bride. Shortly after that he obtained his first Grade 1 victory when taking the Morgiana Hurdle in a tactical affair on board of Nichols Canyon, producing the surprise of the season by defeating the champion hurdler Faugheen who was unbeaten at the time. During the same season he continued to win more Graded races for other trainers such as Ms Sandra Hughes and Pat A. Fahy and culminated with a victory for Mouse Morris in the most valuable race of the Jumps calendar, the 2016 Grand National at only his first attempt, giving a patient ride to Rule The World, a horse which had never previously won a steeplechase. He became one of the youngest jockeys ever to win the race and declared: →"It's a weird feeling, you don't really believe it" →"I beat Faugheen on Nichols Canyon but I think this tops that". The only younger jockey to claim the Grand National was the 17-year-old Bruce Hobbs back in 1938.
- "Racing Post profile David Mullins". racingpost.com. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- "Rule The World wins the Grand National". The Associated Press. 9 April 2016.
- "Poplar Win For Devils Bride". sportinglife.com. Sporting Life. 1 November 2015.
- "Nichols Canyon has David Mullins living the dream". skysports.com. Sky Sports. 24 December 2015.
- Marcus Armytage (9 April 2016). "Rule The World upsets the odds to win Grand National under David Mullins". telegraph.co.uk. The Telegraph.
- Elizabeth Hudson (10 April 2016). "Grand National: Rule The World wins under David Mullins". bbc.com. BBC.
- Keith Melrose (9 April 2016). "Rule The World wins Grand National at 33-1". racingpost.com. Racing Post.
- Tom Peacock (9 April 2016). "David Mullins struggles to believe Grand National victory at age of 19". telegraph.co.uk. The Telegraph.