David Murray (Australian businessman)
|David Murray AO|
David Murray in 2008
|Born||David Victor Murray|
|Residence||Hunters Hill, New South Wales|
|Education||St Aloysius' College, Sydney|
David Victor Murray AO (born c. 1949), an Australian businessman, was the inaugural Chairman of the Australian Government Future Fund Board of Guardians, serving between 2006 and 2012, and Chair of the International Forum of Sovereign Wealth Funds.
Prior to his appointment to the Future Fund, Murray was the Chief Executive Officer of the Commonwealth Bank between 1992 and 2005. In Murray’s 13 years as Chief Executive, the Commonwealth Bank transformed from a partly privatised bank with a market capitalisation of $6 billion in 1992 to a $49 billion integrated financial services company, generating in the process total shareholder returns (including gross dividend reinvestment) at a compound annual growth rate of over 24 per cent, one of the highest total returns of any major bank in Australia.
Murray holds a Bachelor of Business from the NSW Institute of Technology and a Master of Business Administration, commenced at Macquarie University and completed at the International Management Institute, Geneva. He holds an honorary PhD from Macquarie University and is a Fellow of the University of Technology, Sydney. He is an old boy of St Aloysius' College, Sydney.
In 2007 Murray was appointed an Officer of the Order of Australia for service to the finance sector nationally and internationally through strategic leadership and policy development, to education, particularly fostering relations between educational institutions and business and industry, and to the community as a supporter of and fundraiser for cultural and church organisations.
Murray holds particular views on climate change.
- "Board Member Profiles". About us. Future Fund Board of Guardians. 16 December 2011. Retrieved 29 January 2012.
- Murray, Lisa (16 July 2005). "Murray payout touches $28m". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 29 January 2012.
- Attard, Monica (24 June 2005). "David Murray (interview)" (transcript). Sunday Profile. Australia: ABC Radio. Retrieved 29 January 2012.
- Keane, Bernard (18 October 2011). "The Coalition game of deterring renewables investment". Crikey. Retrieved 29 January 2012.
- Packham, Ben (30 March 2012). "Outgoing Future Fund chairman David Murray says carbon tax will be 'very,very bad' for economy". The Australian. Retrieved 8 April 2012.
- "Govt rejects savage spray from Future Fund boss" (transcript). The World Today. Australia: ABC News. 30 March 2012. Retrieved 8 April 2012.
- Ireland, Judith (30 March 2012). "Carbon tax worst economic reform, says outgoing Future Fund chief". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 8 April 2012.
- "Search: Murray, David Victor". It's an honour. Commonwealth of Australia. 26 January 2007. Retrieved 29 January 2012.
- AMP appoints former CBA boss David Murray as its new chairman ABC News 4 May 2018
D. N. Sanders
| Chief Executive Officer
of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia
1992 – 2005
Sir Ralph Norris
| Chairman of the Board of Guardians
of the Australian Government Future Fund
2006 – 2012