David Myers (academic)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
David Guy Myers (born 20 September 1942) is a professor of psychology at Hope College in Michigan, United States, and the author of 17 books, including popular textbooks entitled Psychology, Exploring Psychology, Social Psychology and general-audience books dealing with issues related to Christian faith as well as scientific psychology. In addition, he has published chapters in over 60 books and numerous scholarly research articles in professional journals.
Myers was born in Seattle, Washington and graduated from Seattle's Queen Anne High School in 1960. He attended Whitworth University, from which he received his B.A. in chemistry magna cum laude in 1964, having been a pre-med student. However, his graduate work went in a different direction, that of social psychology. He received his M.A. in social psychology in 1966 and his Ph.D. in social psychology the following year for thesis titled Enhancement of Initial Risk Taking Tendencies in Social Situations, both at the University of Iowa.
Myers has spent most of his career at Hope College, rising through the ranks of assistant professor (1967), associate professor (1970, and since 1975, full professor. He served as a visiting scholar at the Universität Mannheim (Germany), in the summer of 1974, and at the University of St. Andrews (Scotland), in 1985.
Myers has received fellowships and grants from the U.S. Public Health Service and the National Science Foundation and is a fellow of the American Psychological Association, the American Psychological Society and the American Association of Applied and Preventive Psychology. He is one of the most important authors of psychology textbooks and is the recipient of honorary doctorates from three different educational institutions.
- Social Psychology (5th Canadian edition, 2012, with others)978-1429244357
- Psychology (10th edition, 2013) 9778-1429261784
- Exploring Psychology (9th edition, 2014) 978-1-4292-6679-6
- Psychology in Everyday Life (2nd edition, 2009)
- Social Psychology (11th edition, 2012) 978-0078035296
- Exploring Social Psychology (6th edition, 2012) 978-14293948
- Myers' Psychology for AP (2010) 978-1429244367
- Psychology Through the Eyes of Faith (2002) 978-0060655570
- The Pursuit of Happiness: Who Is Happy--and Why (1992)978-1855382732
- A Quiet World: Living with Hearing Loss (2000) ASIN: B001CEU7BU
- The American Paradox: Spiritual Hunger in an Age of Plenty (2000) 978-0300091205
- Psychology Through the Eyes of Faith (2002) with Malcolm A. Jeeves
- Intuition: Its Powers and Perils (2002) 978-0300103038
- What God Has Joined Together: The Christian Case for Gay Marriage (with Letha Dawson Scanzoni, 2005) 978-0060834548
- A Friendly Letter to Skeptics and Atheists: Musings on Why God is Good and Faith isn't Evil (2008) 978-0470290279