David Nelson (American football)
Nelson with the Buffalo Bills
|No. -- Free agent|
|Date of birth:||November 7, 1986|
|Place of birth:||Dallas, Texas|
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||215 lb (98 kg)|
|High school:||Wichita Falls (TX) Rider|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2015|
|Player stats at PFR|
David Alan Nelson (born November 7, 1986) is an American football wide receiver who is currently a free agent. He played college football for the University of Florida, where he was a member of two BCS National Championship teams. He was signed by the Buffalo Bills as an undrafted free agent in 2010, and has also played for the New York Jets.
Nelson was born in Wichita Falls, Texas in 1986. He began his high school career at 1A Petrolia High School, winning the 2002 Texas 1A State Championship. Beginning his junior year, he attended S. H. Rider High School in Wichita Falls, where he played for the Rider Raiders high school football team. As a senior, Nelson was team captain and had ninety-one receptions for 1,641 yards and eighteen touchdowns.
Nelson accepted an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, where he played for coach Urban Meyer's Florida Gators football team from 2005 to 2009. The Gators coaching staff elected to redshirt Nelson as a true freshman in 2005. During his time as a Gator, the team won two SEC Championship Games (2006, 2008) and two BCS National Championship Games (2007, 2009). The highlight of his 2009 senior season was a four-reception day for fifty-three yards against the Alabama Crimson Tide in the 2009 SEC Championship Game. During his four-season college career, Nelson played in forty-four games, started fourteen, and made forty-six receptions for 630 yards (a 13.7-yard average) and seven touchdowns. Nelson was the recipient of quarterback Tim Tebow's "jump pass" in the 2009 BCS National Championship Game which cemented the Gators' 24–14 victory over the Oklahoma Sooners.
Nelson graduated from the University of Florida with a bachelor's degree in sociology in 2009.
The Buffalo Bills signed Nelson as undrafted free agent, and he made his professional debut in the Bills' October 3, 2010 game against the New York Jets. Nelson had two consecutive touchdowns catches in the 2010-2011 season from quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick in games against Cleveland and Miami, in weeks 14 and 15. Following the 2012 season, the Bills did not tender a new contract, and he became an unrestricted free agent.
New York Jets
Nelson was signed by the New York Jets on October 2, 2013. He had 36 receptions for 423 yards and a pair of touchdowns during the 2013 season. Nelson was released on October 18, 2014 after the Jets had traded for Percy Harvin.
On August 12, 2015, Nelson was signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers to a 1-year, $745,000 deal. At his first practice with the Steelers, Nelson suffered a shoulder injury. On August 25, 2015, the Steelers announced that after receiving an MRI on his shoulder, Nelson had been added to the injured/reserved list.
|Year||Team||Games||Recept's||Targets||Rec'g Yds||Avg Yds||Longest||Rec'g TDs||1st Downs|
- 2006 Florida Gators football team
- 2008 Florida Gators football team
- List of Buffalo Bills players
- List of Florida Gators football players in the NFL
- Pro-Football-Reference.com, Players, David Nelson. Retrieved March 31, 2011.
- GatorZone.com, Football History, 2009 Roster, David Nelson. Retrieved May 8, 2011.
- 2011 Florida Gators Football Media Guide, University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida, pp. 74, 81, 184 (2011). Retrieved August 31, 2011.
- Adam Schefter, "David Nelson to become free agent," ESPN (February 24, 2013). Retrieved February 25, 2013.
- Browns sign WR David Nelson
- Jets Staff (October 2, 2013). "Jets Sign WR David Nelson to Active Roster". New York Jets. Archived from the original on October 5, 2013. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- Allen, Eric (October 18, 2014). "Harvin Jet Sweeping to New York". New York Jets. Archived from the original on October 23, 2014. Retrieved October 19, 2014.
- "David Nelson, ex-Jets receiver, signs with Pittsburgh Steelers". Retrieved August 12, 2015.
- "Pittsburgh Steelers sign Doug Legursky". Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- "David Nelson Stats". ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved February 20, 2014.