Newell at the 2010 New York Comic Con
November 24, 1938 |
O'Hara Township, Pennsylvania, United States
David Newell (born November 24, 1938) is an American television actor known primarily for his portrayal of Mr. McFeely, the delivery man on Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood, and works in the public relations department of the Fred Rogers Company (the entity responsible for all rights relating to the program, and other series currently in production from the company). His character's most famous catchphrase was "Speedy Delivery!" and he also said "Open the door!!" very angrily when he was in a bad mood, which Mr. Rogers would focus on moods for topic. This was Newell's major role, but not his only one, as he appeared in small film and TV parts throughout the years. He tours the country to this day, promoting Mister Rogers' Neighborhood as Mr. McFeely.
Newell was born in O'Hara Township, Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh. A graduate of the University of Pittsburgh, he is the director of public relations for The Fred Rogers Company. Newell now resides in Pittsburgh. He used to be an English teacher at Wilkinsburg Junior/Senior High school.
Newell began his acting career at a theatre school known as the Pittsburgh Playhouse. Through connections made there, he eventually met Fred Rogers. Newell was originally hired onto the show as a public relations manager, but Rogers also cast him in the role of Mr. McFeely. As a result, he and Rogers became lifelong friends until Rogers' death in 2003.
"Working with Fred Rogers was like receiving a master’s degree in child development. Fred taught by example, and he was subtle—but suddenly you’d realize that, after working side by side with him, your knowledge base had expanded almost beyond description."
- "Neighborhood News". Family Communications. Retrieved January 16, 2008.[dead link]
- Slattery, Holden (Fall 2008). "Speedy Delivery". Pitt Magazine (Pittsburgh, PA: University of Pittsburgh). Retrieved 2009-09-15.
- Speedy Delivery Film
- The Tartan Online : *Speedy Delivery*
- Yale Daily News - Music student pens Mister Rogers score
- "Staff Bios". Family Communications. Retrieved December 12, 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to David Newell.|
- David Newell at the Internet Movie Database
- A downloadable audio interview with Mr. McFeely actor and Family Communications Inc. Public Relations Director David Newell. From Wisconsin Public Television.
- "'Mr. Speedy Delivery' talks about his neighborhood". CNN. 2001-08-31. Retrieved January 16, 2008.
- Vancheri, Barbara (2004-02-26). "Speedy Mr. McFeely extends the legacy of Mister Rogers". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved January 16, 2008.
- Vancheri, Barbara (2008-04-09). "'Special 'Delivery': Documentary follows Mr. McFeely as he carries the message of Fred Rogers.". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved April 27, 2008.