David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism
|Author||Gregory Prince and Wm. Robert Wright|
|Subject||David O. McKay|
|Published||2005 (University of Utah Press)|
|Media type||Print (Hardcover)|
|289.3/092 B 22|
|LC Class||BX8695.M27 P75 2005|
David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism is the first book to draw upon the David O. McKay Papers at the J. Willard Marriott Library, University of Utah, in addition to some two hundred interviews conducted by the authors, Gregory Prince and William Robert Wright. The work was first published on March 9, 2005, through the University of Utah Press and was met with mixed reviews.
Based largely on an extensive body of records gathered and maintained by McKay's longtime secretary, Clare Middlemiss, the book focuses on the years of McKay's presidency, during which The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints faced the challenges of worldwide growth in an age of communism, the American Civil Rights Movement, and ecumenism.
The Journal of Mormon History praised the book as a "fine example of the bookmaker's art, the oversize volume is beautifully designed and brilliantly executed" and commented that although they had initially held concerns about the work being based predominantly on the Middlemiss diaries, they grew more confident on the material's accuracy, the further they read in the book. The journal Church History also gave a favorable review, stating that it should be "required reading in American Religion". The Deseret News was more critical in their review, writing that there was "a huge and interesting body of material here that will be fascinating to both general readers and historians" but that it "suffers from the use of huge, undigested quotations from McKay and a number of church leaders and associates. A trained historian would have pared down the material, done some paraphrasing and devoted precious time to analyzing the evidence."
- Evans Handcart Award (2005, won)
- Best Biography Award from the Mormon History Association (2005, won)
- Best Utah History Book Award from the Utah State Historical Society (2005, won)
- Prince, Gregory and Wright, Wm. Robert. David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism. University of Utah Press, Salt Lake City, UT, 2005. ISBN 0-87480-822-7.
- "David O. McKay and the rise of modern Mormonism.(RELIGION)(Brief Article)(Book Review)". Reference & Research Book News (subscription required). August 1, 2005. Retrieved 2015-01-02.
- Stewart, Erin (July 31, 2005). "New McKay biography draws mixed reviews". Deseret News. Archived from the original on 2015-01-07.
- Petersen, Boyd Jay (Summer 2006). "Reviews: Gregory A. Prince and Wm. Robert Wright, David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism". Journal of Mormon History. 32 (2): 267–272. JSTOR 23289632. Archived from the original on 2015-01-07.
- Walker, Randi Jones (September 2006). "Book Reviews and Notes: David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism. By Gregory A. Prince and Wm. Robert Wright". Church History. 75 (3): 698–699. doi:10.1017/S0009640700098978. Archived from the original on 2015-01-07.
- Lythgoe, Dennis (March 20, 2005). "Book review: Biographies shed light on popular LDS leader". Deseret News. Archived from the original on 2015-01-07.
- "Previous Evans Winners: Previous Winners, Evans Handcart Award". Mountain West Center for Regional Studies, Utah State University. Archived from the original on 2015-01-07.
- "MHA Awards: Year 2005" (PDF), MHAhome.org, Mormon History Association, 2007, archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-02-13
- "Past Award Recipients: Best Biography Award", MormonHistoryAssociation.org, Mormon History Association, archived from the original on 2015-01-07
- "David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism". University Press Catalog. The University of Utah. Retrieved 2015-07-14.
- "USU's Religious Studies Program hosts Guest Speaker Gregory Prince". Utah State Today. Utah State University. March 24, 2010. Retrieved 2015-07-14.
- "William Robert (Bob) Wright". Deseret News Obituaries. Legacy.com. January 16, 2012. Retrieved 2015-07-14.
- Copy of a press release from the University of Utah is found here: "'David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism' wins awards". Mormon Chronicles. October 9, 2006. Retrieved 2015-07-14.
- Alder, Douglas D. (Fall 2005). "[Review of:] David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism. By Gregory A. Prince and Wm. Robert Wright". Utah Historical Quarterly. 73 (4): 387–390.
- Allen, James B. (2006). "Book Reviews: David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism, by Gregory A. Prince and William Robert Wright". BYU Studies. 45 (1): 172–176.
- Bergera, Gary James (September 2005). "A Book of Revelations: [Review of] David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism" (PDF). Sunstone (138): 65–67.
- Bringhurst, Newell G. (2007). "[Review of] Gregory Prince and William Robert Wright. David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism". John Whitmer Historical Association Journal. 27: 230–235. JSTOR 43200293.
- Decker, Mark T. (Winter 2005). "The Un-Hagiography: [Review of] Gregory A. Prince and Wm. Robert Wright, David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism" (PDF). Dialogue. 38 (4): 218–222.
- Book's information from the University of Utah Press
- Book review by Julie M. Smith at Times & Seasons
- Discussion on the book with Greg Prince at Times & Seasons
|This article related to a book about the Latter Day Saint movement is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|