|Preceded by||Tony Martin|
|Succeeded by||Ross Romano|
|Constituency||Sault Ste. Marie|
November 12, 1968|
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada
|Residence||Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada|
David Michael Orazietti (born November 12, 1968) is a former politician in Ontario, Canada. He was a Liberal member of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario from 2003 to 2016 who represented the northern Ontario riding of Sault Ste. Marie. He served in the cabinet of Kathleen Wynne, most recently as Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services, until he resigned on December 31, 2016. In January 2017, Orazietti was appointed Dean of Aviation, Trades and Technology, Natural Environment and Business at Sault College.
Orazietti is a third-generation resident of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. He worked as a teacher for the Algoma District School Board for ten years. He and his wife Jane live in Sault Ste. Marie with their two children.
In 1997, Orazietti was elected to Sault Ste. Marie City Council in Ward One. He was re-elected to a second term in 2000.
He ran in the provincial election of 2003 as the Liberal candidate in the riding of Sault Ste. Marie. He defeated New Democratic incumbent Tony Martin by 8,671 votes. He was re-elected in the 2007, 2011, and 2014 elections, becoming the first MPP in the riding's history to be re-elected three times.
During his time in government Orazietti held several Parliamentary Assistant roles supporting ministers of cabinet including Minister of Natural Resources (2005-2007, 2009-2011) and Minister of Northern Development and Mines (2007-2009). He also served as Government Caucus Chair and parliamentary assistant to premier Dalton McGuinty from 2011 to 2013.
On February 11, 2013, Premier Kathleen Wynne appointed him to cabinet as Minister of Natural Resources. On June 24, 2014, Wynne appointed him to a second ministry, this time as Minister of Government and Consumer Services.
On May 27, 2015 Orazietti introduced a new bill called Protecting Condominium Owners Act, 2015. The bill called for the creation of a new Condominium Authority that would facilitate dispute resolution between owners and boards. There would also be training and licensing of condominium management companies. Critics of the bill said that the bill would result in increased fees and more special assessments. It was passed into law on December 3, 2015.
On June 13, 2016, Wynne appointed Orazietti as Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services. He resigned from cabinet on December 16, 2016 and announced his resignation as an MPP effective January 1, 2017.
|Ontario Provincial Government of Kathleen Wynne|
|Cabinet posts (3)|
|Yasir Naqvi||Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services
|Tracy MacCharles||Minister of Government and Consumer Services
|Michael Gravelle||Minister of Natural Resources
Provincial electoral record
|New Democratic||Celia Ross||7,611||25.47||-5.40|
|Progressive Conservative||Rod Fremlin||3,703||12.39||+0.56|
|New Democratic||Celia Ross||9,047||30.87||+4.48|
|Progressive Conservative||Jib Turner||3,467||11.83||+4.58|
|Family Coalition||Matthew Hunt||172||0.59||-1.3|
|New Democratic||Jeff Arbus||8,474||26.39||-5.96|
|Progressive Conservative||Josh Pringle||2,329||7.25||-0.26|
|Family Coalition||Bill Murphy||605||1.89||+0.17|
|New Democratic||Tony Martin||11,379||32.37||-10.86|
|Progressive Conservative||Bruce Willson||2,674||7.61||-20.79|
|Family Coalition||Al Walker||606||1.72|
- Martin, Carol (December 18, 2008). "David, Jane and Olivia get an early Christmas gift". Soo Today.
- Mallan, Caroline (September 30, 2003). "Liberals broaden their horizons; High atop polls, McGuinty tours Tory, NDP ridings Party targeting areas once thought beyond its reach". Toronto Star. p. A6.
- "Summary of Valid Ballots by Candidate". Elections Ontario. October 2, 2003. Retrieved 2014-03-02.[permanent dead link]
- "Summary of Valid Ballots Cast for Each Candidate" (PDF). Elections Ontario. October 10, 2007. p. 13 (xxii). Archived from the original (PDF) on October 7, 2009. Retrieved March 2, 2014.
- "Summary of Valid Ballots Cast for Each Candidate" (PDF). Elections Ontario. October 6, 2011. p. 15. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 30, 2013. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- "General Election by District: Sault Ste. Marie". Elections Ontario. June 12, 2014. Archived from the original on June 14, 2014.
- "David Orazietti, MPP". Ontario Legislative Assembly. Retrieved 2015-06-04.
- "Ontario's new cabinet". Waterloo Region Record. Kitchener, Ont. February 12, 2013. p. A3.
- Richard Brennan; Robert Benzie; Rob Ferguson (June 24, 2014). "Kathleen Wynne warns financial cupboard is bare". Toronto Star.
- Pigg, Susan (May 27, 2015). "Ontario condo owners to get cheaper way to resolve disputes". Toronto Star.
- "Ontario premier shuffles cabinet and adds new ministries, despite criticism over size of executive council". The Canadian Press. June 13, 2016.
- "Former MPP David Orazietti now dean at Sault College". CBC News. January 9, 2017.