David P. Dobkin
|Born||February 29, 1948
University of Arizona
|Thesis||On the arithmetic complexity of a class of arithmetic computations (1973)|
|Doctoral advisor||Roger W. Brockett|
|Doctoral students||Michael Ian Shamos
Dobkin was born February 29, 1948, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He received a B.S. from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1970 and then moved to Harvard University for his graduate studies, receiving a Ph.D. in applied mathematics in 1973 under the supervision of Roger W. Brockett.
He taught at Yale University and the University of Arizona before moving to Princeton in 1981. He was initially appointed to the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at Princeton and was subsequently named one of the first professors of Computer Science when that department was formed in 1985. In 1999, he became the first holder of the Goldman chair after its namesake donated two million dollars to the university. He was chair of the Computer Science Department at Princeton from 1994 to 2003, and in 2003 was appointed Dean of the Faculty. David Dobkin also chaired the governing board of The Geometry Center, a NSF-established research and education center at the University of Minnesota.
Dobkin has been on the editorial boards of eight journals. His research has concerned computational geometry and computer graphics, and in 1997 he was selected as a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery for his contributions to both fields.
- "Office of the Dean of the Faculty". Princeton Univ.
- "David Dobkin named dean of faculty". E-quad news. Princeton University. Summer 2003."COS professor appointed new dean of the faculty". Daily Princetonian. April 14, 2003. Archived from the original on 2006-10-22.
- "Princeton's Computer Science Chair Appointed First Goldman Professor". Princeton University. January 14, 1999."Three to hold endowed chairs". E-quad news. Princeton University. Winter 1998–1999.
- "Post-mortem on the Geometry Center". Math in the Media (AMS).
- "Short vita".
from Dobkin's web site
- "ACM Fellow citation".
- Dobkin keeps pace with faculty interests, Princeton Weekly Bulletin, January 9, 2006