David P. Norton
David P. Norton (born 1941) is an American business theorist, business executive and management consultant, known as co-creator, together with Robert S. Kaplan, of the Balanced Scorecard. David P. Norton co-founded Palladium Group, Inc. (previously Balanced Scorecard Collaborative) and served as its Chief Executive Officer.
Norton obtained his BS in Electrical Engineering in the early 1960s from Worcester Polytechnic Institute. He continued his studies at the Florida Institute of Technology, where he obtained his MS in Operations Research and his MBA from the Florida State University. For his graduate studies he moved to the Harvard University, where he obtained his Doctor of Business Administration.
Norton started his career in industry. With Richard L. Nolan, he co-founded the consulting firm Nolan, Norton & Co in 1975, and served as its president. When the firm was acquired by KPMG Peat Marwick in 1987, Nolan became Partner in the firm until 1992. In 1992 Norton became founding President of Renaissance Solutions, Inc., and became its Chief Executive Officer in 1993. He also co-founded, with Robert S. Kaplan, ESM Software Group, rebranded as the Palladium Group, with the Balanced Scorecard Collaborative (BSCol) as a subsidiary, and was its Chief Executive Officer until 2007. As of 2015, the Palladium Group was acquired by GRM International (with the combined business rebranded Palladium International). Norton and Kaplan remain affiliated with Palladium.
Norton and Robert S. Kaplan created the balanced scorecard, a means of linking a company's current actions to its long-term goals. Kaplan and Norton introduced the balanced scorecard method in their 1992 Harvard Business Review article, The Balanced Scorecard: Measures That Drive Performance.
- Kaplan, Robert S., and David P. Norton. Strategy maps: Converting intangible assets into tangible outcomes. Harvard Business Press, 2004.
- Kaplan, Robert S., and David P. Norton. The strategy-focused organization: How balanced scorecard companies thrive in the new business environment. Harvard Business Press, 2001.
Articles, a selection:
- Kaplan, Robert S., and David P. Norton. , "The Balanced Scorecard: Measures That Drive Performance," Harvard Business Review, Jan.–Feb. 1992.
- Kaplan, Robert S., and David P. Norton. "The balanced scorecard: translating strategy into action." Harvard Business Press, 1996.
- Kaplan, Robert S., and David P. Norton. "Using the balanced scorecard as a strategic management system." Harvard Business Review 74.1 (1996): 75-85.
- Delone, William H., and Ephraim R. McLean. "The DeLone and McLean model of information systems success: a ten-year update." Journal of management information systems 19.4 (2003): 9-30.
- Johnson, Gerry, Kevan Scholes, and Richard Whittington. Exploring corporate strategy: Text and cases. Pearson Education, 2008.
- "David P. Norton: Executive Profile & Biography - Bloomberg". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2017-12-01.
- David P. Norton, Executive Profile, at bloomberg.com, Accessed 10.02.2015.
- "About Section in ESM Software Group website". ESM Software Group. Retrieved 12 September 2016.
- "Palladium Joins Forces with GRM Futures Group - News - Advanced Advice". www.aadvice.lt. Retrieved 2017-03-13.
- "Sudokkho | GRM International rebranded as Palladium". Retrieved 2017-03-13.
- "Palladium - Our Purpose". thepalladiumgroup.com. Retrieved 2017-03-13.
- "Palladium - Kaplan-Norton Balanced Scorecard Training *With Certification*". www.thepalladiumgroup.com. Retrieved 2017-03-13.
- Palladium. "Palladium Announces 2015 Hall of Fame for Executing Strategy". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2017-03-13.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: David P. Norton|
- David P. Norton, Executive Profile, at bloomberg.com,