David Pagel is an art critic, educator, curator, dioramatist and bike enthusiast.
Contemporary Art Criticism
Pagel is a regular contributor to the Los Angeles Times and has written nearly 500 articles since 1997. He serves as Chair of the Art Department at Claremont Graduate University in Claremont, California.
Pagel has written several books and essays about artists such as Jim Isermann and Irene Hardwicke Olivieri.
David Pagel has curated:
- Unfinished Business at the Parrish Art Museum (2016)
- Pieceable Kingdom at the Beacon Arts Building (2011)
- Underground Pop at the Parrish Art Museum (2010)
- LA Now at the Las Vegas Art Museum (2009)
- Painting Design at Claremont Graduate University (2007)
- 702 Series: Sush Machida Gaikotsu at Las Vegas Art Museum (2007)
- POPulence at Blaffer Gallery, University of Houston (2005) 
- Damaged Romanticism: A Mirror of Modern Emotion (with Terrie Sultan) for the Blaffer Gallery at the University of Houston (8/22/08-11/15/08) and the Grey Art Gallery at New York University (1/13/09-4/4/09)
- Electric Mud at the Blaffer (1/17/09-3/28/09) 
- M.A., Harvard University, Art History 1987
- B.A., Stanford University, Modern Thought and Literature, with Honors and Distinction in the Humanities, 1985 
- Darren Waterston: Representing The Invisible by Dave Hickey, David Pagel
- Irene Hardwicke Olivieri : Paintings by David Pagel
- Plane/Structures by David Pagel
- Fifteen: A Fifteen-Year Survey of Jim Isermann's Work by David Pagel
- The Smiths (Seton Smith, Kiki Smith and Tony Smith) by Gilbert Brownstone, Eleanor Heartney and David Pagel
- Postmark : An Abstract Effect by Louis Grachos and David Pagel 
- The Cowboys Stadium: Art + Architecture by David Dillon and David Pagel