His published works include many popular books on games such as Penguin Book on Card Games, as well as the more academic volumes The Oxford Guide to Card Games and The Oxford History of Board Games, both now out of print. Parlett has also invented many card games and board games. The most successful of these is Hare and Tortoise (1974). Its German edition was awarded Spiel des Jahres (Game of the Year) in 1979.
Games and gaming
- The Penguin Encyclopedia of Card Games
- The Oxford Dictionary of Card Games
- Teach Yourself Card Games
- The Oxford History of Board Games reprinted as History of Board Games
- The Oxford Guide to Card Games / A History of Card Games
- Anarquía y Otros Juegos Sociales de Cartas
- All the Best Card Games
- Botticelli and Beyond
- Card Games for Everyone
- Family Card Games
- The Guinness Book of Word Games
- Know the Game: Patience
- Original Card Games
- The Penguin Book of Card Games
- The Penguin Book of Patience
- The Penguin Book of Word Games
- The Popular Dictionary of Card Games
- Solitaire: Aces Up and 399 other Card Games
- Teach Yourself Card Games
- Teach Yourself Card Games for Four
- Teach Yourself Card Games for Three
- Teach Yourself Card Games for Two
- Teach Yourself Card Games for One
- Teach Yourself Poker and Brag
- Selections from the Carmina Burana (translations)
- Learning a Language Alone
- A Short Dictionary of Languages
- Dalcroze Today (translation of Marie-Laure Bachmann's work)
Since 1974, David Parlett has published numerous games, including the following:
- Around the World in 80 Days (2016)
- Asterix: Das Kartenspiel (1990)
- Chicken Out! (2017)
- The Gnümies Party Game (2001)
- Hare and Tortoise (1973)
- Katarenga (Colorado) (2017)
- Metal Mickey's All Around the House Game (1982)
- Ninety-Nine (1974) / Four Seasons (2016)
- Pot Black: Snooker Dice (1980)
- The Puzzle of Oz (2012)
- Rainbow Junior Scrabble (1989)
- Roman Poker (2015)
- Shoulder to Shoulder (1975)
- Star Wars: Duell der Mächte (2015)
- Sushi Spiel (Chinese Take-Away)
- Die Wilden Kerle (The Wild Kids) (2017)
- Zoo Party / 7Safari (2000) / Alles für die Katz
Parlett has invented more than 70 original card games that can be played with a standard deck of playing cards.
- David Parlett on amazon.com
- Flanagan, Mary. In defense of solitaire, the "perfect game". Salon.com. Retrieved 17 October 2020.
- McAlpine, Fraser. 5 British Card Games You Should Learn. BBC America. Retrieved 17 October 2020.
- David Parlett, Boardgame designer page on BoardGameGeek, Retrieved 5 October 2011.
- Koenig, Ravenna. Remove your rings and get out your card blanket. Alaska Public Media. Retrieved 17 October 2020.
- Chabris, Christopher. A New Deal in Card Games. Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 17 October 2020.
- Solly, Meilan. The Best Board Games of the Ancient World. Smithsonian Magazine. Retrieved 17 October 2020.
- The Friend, 22 and 29 December 2017.
- Parlett, David. Game Pie for Gourmets: A survey of my published games. Retrieved 17 October 2020.
- Parlett, David. Original Card Games: New way with old cards. Retrieved 17 October 2020.
|This article about a writer or poet from the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This card game-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|