Peralta batting for the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2016 spring training
|Arizona Diamondbacks – No. 6|
August 14, 1987 |
Valencia, Carabobo, Venezuela
|June 1, 2014, for the Arizona Diamondbacks|
(through 2017 season)
|Runs batted in||186|
David Peralta was born on August 14, 1987 in Valencia, Venezuela where he grew up with two sisters, Ivonne and Erika. His father is also named David Peralta, and his mother is Diocelina Peralta.
Peralta started his career as a pitcher in the St. Louis Cardinals organization in 2006, having signed with the team in 2005 for a $35,000 bonus. After numerous injuries and two shoulder surgeries, the Cardinals released Peralta in May 2009. He then played as an outfielder in independent baseball for the Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings, Wichita Wingnuts, and Amarillo Sox. In 2013, he signed with the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Peralta was called up to the majors for the first time on June 1, 2014. He made his major league debut that day. He tied a Diamondbacks record by recording 7 multi-hit games in his first 15 games, hitting .328 with 1 HR and 2 RBI. 2015 was a breakout season for Peralta, who hit well above .300 and racked up impressive runs scored, RBIs, and HRs in fewer than 450 ABs as the Diamondbacks' primary left fielder.
Peralta and his wife Jordan welcomed their first child, daughter Sofia, in August 2017.
- Ringolsby, Tracy (May 22, 2016). "Peralta a prime example of never giving up". MLB.com. Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- Nightengale, Bob (April 1, 2016). "'It's never too late': David Peralta's unlikely renaissance in Arizona". USA Today. Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- Reiter, Ben (July 22, 2015). "How David Peralta went from indy league player to MLB outfielder". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- Kepner, Tyler (March 25, 2016). "David Peralta's Relentless Push From Independent Ball to the Majors". New York Times. Retrieved May 23, 2016.
- Stavenhagen, Cody (June 15, 2013). "Hard-working Peralta makes transition to everyday player with Amarillo Sox". Amarillo Globe-News. Retrieved June 1, 2014.
- Fox Sports. "Scout's honor: The discovery of David Peralta". FOX Sports. Retrieved March 31, 2015.
- Heneghan, Kelsie (April 23, 2014). "Peralta's perseverance paying off for Mobile". MILB.com. Retrieved June 1, 2014.
- "Surgery for D-Backs' Pollock; Peralta called up". ESPN.com. Associated Press. June 1, 2014. Retrieved June 1, 2014.
- "Arizona Diamondbacks on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved March 31, 2015.
- Yahoo Sports
- "New Dad David Peralta: 'The best feeling ever'". Fox Sports. Retrieved December 22, 2017.