David Perkins (footballer)
Perkins playing for Rochdale in 2007
|Full name||David Philip Perkins|
|Date of birth||21 June 1982|
|Place of birth||Heysham, England|
|Height||5 ft 6 in (1.68 m)|
|2009–2010||→ Chesterfield (loan)||13||(1)|
|2010||→ Stockport County (loan)||22||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 15:48, 10 January 2016 (UTC).
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 22:06, 7 January 2009 (UTC)
Perkins started his career with Morecambe, for whom he played 170 league games.
In 2007, he moved to League Two side Rochdale. On 17 May 2008 he scored a deflected goal from 30 yards which put Rochdale level on aggregate with Darlington in a semi-final play-off, during which he was later shown a red card. Rochdale went through on penalties. Rochdale appealed to his red card which was rejected by the FA, meaning he missed the League Two play-off final against Stockport County at Wembley Stadium and also the first four games of the 2008–09 season.
On 2 October 2009 Perkins signed on loan for Chesterfield.
Return to Colchester
After becoming an outcast in the U's squad under Aidy Boothroyd his career at the club looked bleak until John Ward was appointed as new boss in May 2010. After regaining his first team place and making over 40 appearances Perkins was being scouted by a number of Championship clubs. At the end of the season with Colchester he won four awards: Player of the Year; Player's Player of the Year; CUSA (Colchester United Supporters' Association) Home Player of the Year and CUSA Away Player of the Year. Teammate Anthony Wordsworth said of Perkins, "He was simply amazing this season".
On 7 June 2011, he rejected the opportunity to extend his deal at Colchester United and subsequently signed for Championship side Barnsley; signing a 2-year contract with the Tykes. He had previously worked with ex Barnsley manager Keith Hill at Rochdale. He made his debut on 6 August 2011, in a 0–0 draw against Nottingham Forest. On 9 April 2012 he scored his first goal for Barnsley, coming in a 1–1 draw away to Blackpool. The goal was described as a "face volley" by football correspondent Conor Breen.
Due to his consistently solid performances throughout the season in midfield, he received the Supporters' Player of the Year Award for the 2012–13 Season.
The energetic midfielder penned an extension to his contract in August, 2012, keeping him at the club until at least the summer of 2014.
On completion of his first season for the Latics, 2015-2016, David Perkins received a triplet of awards: Away Player of the Season, Players' Player of the Season and Player of the Season. The awards reflected his first, successful season for the newly promoted Championship side. In the 2015/16 season, Perkins made a lethal combination in the centre of midfield with midfielder Max Power.
- As of 28 April 2012
|Club performance||League||Cup||League Cup||Continental||Total|
|England||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Europe||Total|
|2008–09||Colchester United||League One||38||5||1||0||1||0||0||0||40||5|
|2009–10||Chesterfield (loan)||League Two||13||1||1||0||0||0||0||0||14||1|
|2009–10||Stockport County (loan)||League One||22||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||22||0|
|2010–11||Colchester United||League One||36||1||3||0||2||0||0||0||41||1|
|2015–2016||Wigan Athletic||League One||36||0||1||0||1||0||0||0||38||0|
- Does not include Football League Trophy appearances.
- "Rochdale 2–1 Darlington (agg 3–3)". BBC Sport. 17 May 2008. Retrieved 18 May 2008.
- "Rochdale fail in red card appeal". BBC Sport. 20 May 2008. Retrieved 21 May 2008.
- "Promotion Push Pleases Perkins". Colchester United. 7 July 2008. Archived from the original on 27 September 2008. Retrieved 7 July 2008.
- "U's Flash: Perks heads to stockport". Colchester United. Archived from the original on 20 January 2010.
- "Barnsley to sign David Perkins and Craig Davies" BBC Sport. 7 June 2011. Retrieved 9 April 2012.
- "Nott'm Forest 0–0 Barnsley" BBC Sport. 6 August 2011. Retrieved 9 April 2012.
- "Blackpool 1–1 Barnsley" BBC Sport. 9 April 2012. Retrieved 9 April 2012.
- "Seasiders Snap Up Perkins". Blackpool FC. 17 January 2014.
- "Retained List Announced" - Blackpool F.C.'s official website, 19 May 2015
- "David Perkins: Midfielder agrees one-year Wigan Athletic deal " - BBC Sport website, 20 May 2015
- "David Perkins Career Stats". Soccerbase. 19 October 2010. Retrieved 19 October 2010.