This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Fields||Medicine, Neurology, Neurogastroenterology|
|Alma mater||Lafayette College, University of Miami School of Medicine|
David Perlmutter is a Naples, Florida based American celebrity doctor, author, and researcher. He is the president of the Perlmutter Health Center.[full citation needed] Perlmutter is the author of health books and is known for advocating a functional and holistic approach toward treating brain disorders.[full citation needed] Perlmutter has also contributed to the Huffington Post, The Daily Beast, and Mind Body Green.
Perlmutter serves as a medical advisor for The Dr. Oz Show. His contributions to medical literature include publications appearing in the Journal of Neurosurgery, the Southern Medical Journal, Journal of Applied Nutrition, and Archives of Neurology.
Perlmutter has received the 2002 Linus Pauling Award (of the Institute for Functional Medicine), and 2006 National Nutritional Foods Association In 2015, Perlmutter was awarded the "Communications and Media Award" from the American College of Nutrition 
Functional medicine is a contentious topic for many in the health community. Perlmutter and his books have faced criticism from other physicians and commentators, including Epidemiologist David Katz, founding director of the Yale-Griffin Prevention Research Center at Griffin Hospital in Derby, CT, who has criticized Grain Brain, calling it a "silly book" and saying "Perlmutter is way ahead of any justifiable conclusion."
- Perlmutter, David (November 15, 2016). The Grain Brain Whole Life Plan: Boost Brain Performance, Lose Weight, and Achieve Optimal Health. Little, Brown and Company. ISBN 0316319198.
- Perlmutter, David (April 28, 2015). Brain Maker: The Power of Gut Microbes to Heal and Protect Your Brain - for Life. Little, Brown and Company. ISBN 0316380105.
- Perlmutter, David (September 9, 2014). The Grain Brain Cookbook: More Than 150 Life-Changing Gluten-Free Recipes to Transform Your Health. Little, Brown and Company. ISBN 0316334251.
- with Loberg, Kristin (September 17, 2013). Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar--Your Brain's Silent Killers. Little, Brown and Company. ISBN 031623480X.
- with Villoldo, Alberto (February 1, 2012). Power Up Your Brain: The Neuroscience of Enlightenment. Hay House. ISBN 1401928188.
- with Colman, Carol (August 2, 2005) . The Better Brain Book: The Best Tool for Improving Memory and Sharpness and Preventing Aging of the Brain. Riverhead Trade. ISBN 1594480931.
- with Colman, Carol (March 11, 2008) . Raise a Smarter Child by Kindergarten: Raise IQ by up to 30 points and turn on your child's smart genes. Harmony. ISBN 0767923022.
- Levinovitz, Alan (June 24, 2015). "The Problem With David Perlmutter, the Grain Brain Doctor". New York Magazine.
Yet despite this heightened concern about the accuracy of health information, best-selling celebrity neurologist Dr. David Perlmutter seems to have escaped much scrutiny, even though he has a decades-long history of offering — and profiting from — suspect medical advice.
- "FL Dept. of Health - Profiling Advanced Search Form". Ww2.doh.state.fl.us. Archived from the original on 2013-10-01. Retrieved 2013-11-04.
- David Perlmutter, M.D. "Entry at". Hayhouse.com. Archived from the original on July 24, 2013. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- Committee, Physicians. "Article at". Tcolincampbell.org. Archived from the original on October 4, 2013. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "Perlmutter Health Center | Resources". Autism Speaks. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "Doctor Details". ABIHM. Retrieved 2013-11-04.
- "David Perlmutter, M.D". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "David Perlmutter, MD". The Daily Beast. 2013-08-22. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- website. "Dr. David Perlmutter on MindBodyGreen". Mindbodygreen.com. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- Taylor, Ihsan. "NY Times best sellers list". Nytimes.com. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "David Perlmutter, MD, FACN, ABIHM | The Dr. Oz Show". Doctoroz.com. 2012-08-22. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "Journal of Neurosurgery articles". Thejns.org. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- Perlmutter, D; Smith, RE; Perlmutter, I. ""Hidden" Disks and Computerized Tomography". Southern Medical Journal. Journals.lww.com. 78: 1343–6. PMID 4071142. doi:10.1097/00007611-198511000-00020.
- Perlmutter, D (1999). "Functional Therapeutics in Neurodegenerative Disease". Journal of Applied Nutrition. 51 (1): 3–13.
- Joseph R. Berger, MD; Andrea Bender, MD; Lionel Resnick, MD et al. (November 1986). "Spinal Myoclonus Associated With HTLV III/LAV Infection". Arch Neurol. 43 (11): 1203–1204. doi:10.1001/archneur.1986.00520110089026. Retrieved June 11, 2017.
- "Annual Awards Past Winners". Natural Products Association. 2013-02-11. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- Hamblin, James (20 December 2013). "This Is Your Brain on Gluten". The Atlantic. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "Instructor criticized for comments". Yale Daily News. Retrieved 2016-04-21.