Perlmutter in 2013
|Born||December 31, 1954|
|Alma mater||Lafayette College, University of Miami School of Medicine|
|Fields||Medicine, Neurology, Neurogastroenterology|
David Perlmutter is a Naples, Florida based American celebrity doctor and commercial author "Yet despite this heightened concern about the accuracy of health information, best-selling celebrity neurologist Dr. David Perlmutter seems to have escaped much scrutiny, even though he has a decades-long history of offering — and profiting from — suspect medical advice."
Perlmutter is a commercial author of health books and is known for advocating a functional and holistic approach toward treating brain disorders. Perlmutter serves as a medical advisor for The Dr. Oz Show. Perlmutter has also contributed to the Huffington Post, The Daily Beast, and Mind Body Green.
Perlmutter has received the 2002 Linus Pauling Award (of the Institute for Functional Medicine), and 2006 National Nutritional Foods Association In 2015, Perlmutter was awarded the "Communications and Media Award" from the American College of Nutrition 
Perlmutter and his books have faced criticism from other physicians and commentators, including Epidemiologist David Katz, founding director of the Yale-Griffin Prevention Research Center at Griffin Hospital in Derby, CT, who has criticized Grain Brain, calling it a "silly book" and saying "Perlmutter is way ahead of any justifiable conclusion."
Microbiome expert Jonathan Eisen criticized Brain Maker in blunt terms. “To think we can magically heal diseases by changing to a gluten-free diet and taking some probiotics is idiotic...It resembles more the presentation of a snake-oil salesman than that of a person interested in actually figuring out how to help people.”
Perlmutter's advice to parents that they should ask their pediatricians about scheduling childhood vaccinations separately is contrary to advice from the CDC and the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Perlmutter, David (November 15, 2016). The Grain Brain Whole Life Plan: Boost Brain Performance, Lose Weight, and Achieve Optimal Health. Little, Brown and Company. ISBN 0316319198.
- Perlmutter, David (April 28, 2015). Brain Maker: The Power of Gut Microbes to Heal and Protect Your Brain - for Life. Little, Brown and Company. ISBN 0316380105.
- Perlmutter, David (September 9, 2014). The Grain Brain Cookbook: More Than 150 Life-Changing Gluten-Free Recipes to Transform Your Health. Little, Brown and Company. ISBN 0316334251.
- with Loberg, Kristin (September 17, 2013). Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar--Your Brain's Silent Killers. Little, Brown and Company. ISBN 031623480X.
- with Villoldo, Alberto (February 1, 2012). Power Up Your Brain: The Neuroscience of Enlightenment. Hay House. ISBN 1401928188.
- with Colman, Carol (August 2, 2005) . The Better Brain Book: The Best Tool for Improving Memory and Sharpness and Preventing Aging of the Brain. Riverhead Trade. ISBN 1594480931.
- with Colman, Carol (March 11, 2008) . Raise a Smarter Child by Kindergarten: Raise IQ by up to 30 points and turn on your child's smart genes. Harmony. ISBN 0767923022.
- Levinovitz, Alan (June 24, 2015). "The Problem With David Perlmutter, the Grain Brain Doctor". New York Magazine.
Yet despite this heightened concern about the accuracy of health information, best-selling celebrity neurologist Dr. David Perlmutter seems to have escaped much scrutiny, even though he has a decades-long history of offering — and profiting from — suspect medical advice.
- David Perlmutter, M.D. "Entry at". Hayhouse.com. Retrieved 2018-06-25.
- Committee, Physicians. "Article at". Tcolincampbell.org. Archived from the original on October 4, 2013. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "Doctor Details". ABIHM. Archived from the original on 2013-10-12. Retrieved 2013-11-04.
- "David Perlmutter, MD". LinkedIn. Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- "David Perlmutter, MD, FACN, ABIHM | The Dr. Oz Show". Doctoroz.com. 2012-08-22. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "David Perlmutter, M.D". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "David Perlmutter, MD". The Daily Beast. 2013-08-22. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- website. "Dr. David Perlmutter on MindBodyGreen". Mindbodygreen.com. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- Taylor, Ihsan. "NY Times best sellers list". New York Times. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- Perlmutter, David; Rhoton, Jr, Albert L (1976). "Microsurgical anatomy of the anterior cerebral-anterior communicating-recurrent artery complex". Journal of Neurosurgery. 45 (3): 259–272. doi:10.3171/jns.1976.45.3.0259.
- Perlmutter, D; Smith, RE; Perlmutter, I. ""Hidden" Disks and Computerized Tomography". Southern Medical Journal. Journals.lww.com. 78: 1343–6. doi:10.1097/00007611-198511000-00020. PMID 4071142.
- Perlmutter, D (1999). "Functional Therapeutics in Neurodegenerative Disease". Journal of Applied Nutrition. 51 (1): 3–13.
- Joseph R. Berger, MD; Andrea Bender, MD; Lionel Resnick, MD; et al. (November 1986). "Spinal Myoclonus Associated With HTLV III/LAV Infection". Arch. Neurol. 43 (11): 1203–1204. doi:10.1001/archneur.1986.00520110089026. Retrieved June 11, 2017.
- "Get Well and Live Well Naturally at Hughes Center for Functional Medicine". Hughes Center for Functional Medicine. Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- "About the Linus Pauling Award". The Institute for Functional Medicine. Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- "Annual Awards Past Winners". Natural Products Association. 2013-02-11. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- Hamblin, James (20 December 2013). "This Is Your Brain on Gluten". The Atlantic. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "Multiple Vaccines and the Immune System". CDC. Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- "Multiple Vaccinations at One Time". healthychildren.org. 21 November 2015. Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- "Promoters of Questionable Methods and/or Advice". Quackwatch. 20 May 2018. Retrieved 25 June 2018.