|Born||December 31, 1954|
|Alma mater||Lafayette College, University of Miami School of Medicine|
|Fields||Medicine, Neurology, Neurogastroenterology|
Perlmutter is the author of health books, and is known for advocating a functional and holistic approach toward treating brain disorders. Perlmutter serves as a medical advisor for The Dr. Oz Show and Men's Health.
Perlmutter has received the 2002 Linus Pauling Award (of the Institute for Functional Medicine), and 2006 National Nutritional Foods Association Clinician Award. In 2015, Perlmutter was awarded the "Communications and Media Award" from the American College of Nutrition In 2019, Perlmutter was awarded the Leadership Award from the Integrative Healthcare Symposium,
Perlmutter and his books have faced criticism from other physicians and commentators. For example, Nash and Slutzky (2014) have written that "according to Grain Brain, much chronic disease originates in the widespread ingestion of carbohydrates, and these foodstuff, rather than cholesterol or saturated fats, are the premier contributor to an unhealthy individual. Numerous recent studies, however, have provided high-level evidence to the contrary."
Epidemiologist David Katz, founding director of the Yale-Griffin Prevention Research Center at Griffin Hospital in Derby, CT, has criticized Grain Brain, calling it a "silly book" and saying that "Perlmutter is way ahead of any justifiable conclusion".
Microbiome expert Jonathan Eisen criticized Brain Maker in blunt terms. "To think we can magically heal diseases by changing to a gluten-free diet and taking some probiotics is idiotic... It resembles more the presentation of a snake-oil salesman than that of a person interested in actually figuring out how to help people."
Perlmutter's advice to parents that they should ask their pediatricians about scheduling childhood vaccinations separately is contrary to advice from the CDC and the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Perlmutter, David (December 9, 2019). The Microbiome and the Brain. CRC Press. ISBN 978-0815376729.
- Perlmutter, David (December 15, 2018). Grain Brain Revised Edition, The Surprising Truth About Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar - Your Brain's Silent Killers. Little, Brown Spark. ISBN 978-0316485135.
- Perlmutter, David (November 15, 2016). The Grain Brain Whole Life Plan: Boost Brain Performance, Lose Weight, and Achieve Optimal Health. Little, Brown and Company. ISBN 978-0316319195.
- Perlmutter, David (April 28, 2015). Brain Maker: The Power of Gut Microbes to Heal and Protect Your Brain - for Life. Little, Brown and Company. ISBN 978-0316380102.
- Perlmutter, David (September 9, 2014). The Grain Brain Cookbook: More Than 150 Life-Changing Gluten-Free Recipes to Transform Your Health. Little, Brown and Company. ISBN 978-0316334259.
- with Loberg, Kristin (September 17, 2013). Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar--Your Brain's Silent Killers. Little, Brown and Company. ISBN 978-0316234801.
- with Villoldo, Alberto (February 1, 2012). Power Up Your Brain: The Neuroscience of Enlightenment. Hay House. ISBN 978-1401928186.
- with Colman, Carol (August 2, 2005) . The Better Brain Book: The Best Tool for Improving Memory and Sharpness and Preventing Aging of the Brain. Riverhead Trade. ISBN 1594480931.
- with Colman, Carol (March 11, 2008) . Raise a Smarter Child by Kindergarten: Raise IQ by up to 30 points and turn on your child's smart genes. Harmony. ISBN 978-0767923026.
- Levinovitz, Alan (June 24, 2015). "The Problem With David Perlmutter, the Grain Brain Doctor". New York Magazine.
Yet despite this heightened concern about the accuracy of health information, best-selling celebrity neurologist Dr. David Perlmutter seems to have escaped much scrutiny, even though he has a decades-long history of offering — and profiting from — suspect medical advice.
- David Perlmutter, M.D. "Entry at". Hayhouse.com. Retrieved 2018-06-25.
- Committee, Physicians. "Article at". Tcolincampbell.org. Archived from the original on October 4, 2013. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "Doctor Details". ABIHM. Archived from the original on 2013-10-12. Retrieved 2013-11-04.
- "David Perlmutter, MD". LinkedIn. Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- "David Perlmutter, MD, FACN, ABIHM | The Dr. Oz Show". Doctoroz.com. 2012-08-22. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "David Perlmutter, MD | Men's Health". menshealth.com. 2018-12-03. Retrieved 2018-12-04.
- Taylor, Ihsan. "NY Times best sellers list". New York Times. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- Perlmutter, David; Rhoton, Jr, Albert L (1976). "Microsurgical anatomy of the anterior cerebral-anterior communicating-recurrent artery complex". Journal of Neurosurgery. 45 (3): 259–272. doi:10.3171/jns.1976.45.3.0259. PMID 948013.
- Perlmutter, D; Smith, RE; Perlmutter, I (1985). ""Hidden" Disks and Computerized Tomography". Southern Medical Journal. Journals.lww.com. 78 (11): 1343–6. doi:10.1097/00007611-198511000-00020. PMID 4071142.
- Perlmutter, D (1999). "Functional Therapeutics in Neurodegenerative Disease". Journal of Applied Nutrition. 51 (1): 3–13.
- Joseph R. Berger, MD; Andrea Bender, MD; Lionel Resnick, MD; et al. (November 1986). "Spinal Myoclonus Associated With HTLV III/LAV Infection". Arch. Neurol. 43 (11): 1203–1204. doi:10.1001/archneur.1986.00520110089026. PMID 2877649.
- "Get Well and Live Well Naturally at Hughes Center for Functional Medicine". Hughes Center for Functional Medicine. Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- "About the Linus Pauling Award". The Institute for Functional Medicine. Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- "Annual Awards Past Winners". Natural Products Association. 2013-02-11. Archived from the original on 2013-11-25. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "Communications and Media Award Recpient David Perlmutter, MD, FACN, ABIHM, author of New York Times Best-Seller Brain Maker". 2016-01-06.
- "Symposium to honor three integrative healthcare visionaries, leaders". The Integrative Healthcare Symposium. Retrieved 2019-10-01.
- Nash DT, Slutzky AR. (2014). Gluten sensitivity: new epidemic or new myth?. Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent) 27 (4): 377-378.
- Hamblin, James (20 December 2013). "This Is Your Brain on Gluten". The Atlantic. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "Multiple Vaccines and the Immune System". CDC. Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- "Multiple Vaccinations at One Time". healthychildren.org. 21 November 2015. Retrieved 25 June 2018.