David Ian Perrett FBA FRSE (born 11 April 1954) is a professor of psychology at the University of St Andrews in Scotland, where he leads the Perception Lab. The main focus in his team's research is on face perception, including facial cues to health, effects of physiological conditions on facial appearance, and facial preferences in social settings such as trust games and mate choice. He has published over 400 peer-reviewed articles, many of which appearing in leading scientific journals such as the Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B - Biological Sciences, Psychological Science, and Nature.
Perrett received the British Psychological Society President's Award for Distinguished Contributions to Psychological Knowledge in 2000, the Golden Brain Award of Minerva Foundation in 2002, the Experimental Psychology Society Mid-Career prize (2008), and a British Academy Wolfson Research Professorship (2009–2012).
- ‘PERRETT, Prof. David Ian’, Who's Who 2013, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2013; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2012 ; online edn, Nov 2012 accessed 11 May 2013
- Stephen, Ian D.; Coetzee, Vinet; Perrett, David I. (2011). "Carotenoid and melanin pigment coloration affect perceived human health". Evolution and Human Behavior. 32 (3): 216–227. doi:10.1016/j.evolhumbehav.2010.09.003.
- Perrett's profile on the University of St Andrews School of Psychology website
- David Ian Perrett Research Publications
- Moore, F. R.; Cornwell, R. E.; Law Smith, M. J.; Al Dujaili, E. A. S.; Sharp, M.; Perrett, D. I. (2010). "Evidence for the stress-linked immunocompetence handicap hypothesis in human male faces". Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences. 278 (1706): 774–780. doi:10.1098/rspb.2010.1678.
- Stirrat, M.; Perrett, D.I. (2010). "Valid Facial Cues to Cooperation and Trust: Male Facial Width and Trustworthiness". Psychological Science. 21 (3): 349–354. doi:10.1177/0956797610362647. PMID 20424067.
- Perrett, D. I.; Lee, K. J.; Penton-Voak, I.; Rowland, D.; Yoshikawa, S.; Burt, D. M.; Henzi, S. P.; Castles, D. L.; Akamatsu, S. (1998). "Effects of sexual dimorphism on facial attractiveness". Nature. 394 (6696): 884–887. doi:10.1038/29772. PMID 9732869.
- Putting beauty back in the eye of the beholder, The Psychologist, January 2002, Award Article for BPS President's Award.
- Vision Scientist Wins Golden Brain Award for Research Showing How the Brain Interprets Faces, The Minerva Foundation.
- "EPS Mid-Career Award 2008 Seeing the future: Natural image sequences produce "anticipatory" neuronal activity and bias perceptual report" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-08-18.
- British Academy Wolfson Research Professorships 2009
- "Face It: Average Just Isn't Beautiful", Chicago Sun-Times, March 17, 1994.
- "Average Faces Get Low Beauty Rating", San Jose Mercury News, March 17, 1994.
- "Why Boyzone has them swooning", New Scientist, August 29, 1998.
- "A bit on the side", New Scientist, June 26, 1999.
- "Playing the Mating Game: When will a woman go for the hunk or the hubby?", Newsweek, July 5, 1999.
- "Top Brass: A voyage of discovery around the human mind; The 10 leading psychologists in Britain, as chosen by their peers", The Independent, October 14, 2001.
- "Like father like husband", New Scientist, February 2, 2002.