Quessenberry at the 2012 Military Bowl
|No. -- Free agent|
|Date of birth:||August 24, 1990|
|Place of birth:||La Jolla, California|
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||307 lb (139 kg)|
|High school:||Carlsbad (CA) La Costa Canyon|
|College:||San Jose State|
|NFL draft:||2013 / Round: 6 / Pick: 176|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
David Lee Quessenberry, Jr. (born August 24, 1990) is an American football offensive tackle who is currently a free agent. He was drafted by the Houston Texans in the sixth round of the 2013 NFL Draft. He played college football at San Jose State. On June 10, 2014, he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins T Lymphoblastic Lymphoma at the age of 23.
High school career
Born in the La Jolla community of San Diego, David Quessenberry attended La Costa Canyon High School in Carlsbad, California and lettered in football and lacrosse. Quessenberry played tight end at La Costa Canyon. His father played college football at the United States Naval Academy and served in the United States Navy from 1980 to 2010.
Having no scholarship offers out of high school, Quessenberry met a San Jose State assistant coach who was recruiting a teammate. Quessenberry later walked-on to the Spartans football team at San Jose State University in 2008 and redshirted that year to bulk up from his 235-pound weight. He would go on to play in 50 games for the Spartans with 38 starts. As a freshman in 2009 under coach Dick Tomey, Quessenberry played in all 12 games mostly on special teams and was a reserve at offensive tackle and tight end.
Quessenberry first earned an athletic scholarship the summer before sophomore season of 2010. In a 1-12 season under new coach Mike MacIntyre, Quessenberry started all 13 game and played mostly as a punt protector and extra point lineman. As a junior in 2011, Quessenberry again started all 12 games of the season, and San Jose State football improved to 5-7. Quessenberry earned second-team All-WAC honors.
In his senior season, an 11-2 season in 2012 that included a 2012 Military Bowl victory, Quessenberry became team captain and was a Burlsworth Trophy finalist for best non-scholarship NCAA FBS player. He was also on the Rotary Lombardi Award watch list. After starting 27 straight games dating back to 2009, Quessenberry sat out the September 15 game due to an ankle injury suffered in the first play of the September 8 game. On September 29, Quessenberry played in a game against Navy, a team with younger brother Paul as offensive lineman. Selected for the 2013 Senior Bowl, Quessenberry became the first San Jose State offensive lineman to play in a Senior Bowl. He was a first-team all-WAC selection. In December 2012, Quessenberry graduated from San Jose State with a B.A. in history.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 5 in||302 lb||343⁄8 in||105⁄8 in||5.08 s||1.72 s||2.92 s||4.45 s||7.49 s||29.5 in||9 ft 4 in||25 reps|
|All values are from the NFL Scouting Combine.|
On June 10, 2014, the Texans announced Quessenberry felt fatigue and had persistent cough. After seeking a medical evaluation, he was diagnosed with Lymphoma. As a result, the Texans waived him with a Non-Football Illness designation.
- "David Quessenberry". San Jose State Athletics. Archived from the original on May 30, 2013.
- Canepa, Nick (December 9, 2012). "David Quessenberry works way up after walking on at San Jose State". San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved March 3, 2013.
- Loh, Stefanie (September 19, 2012). "SJSU's San Diegans Ronnie Yell and David Quessenberry excited to take on Aztecs". San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved March 3, 2013.
- Barraza, Stephanie (December 3, 2012). "David Quessenberry talks Spartan football and his favorite food". Spartan Daily. Retrieved March 3, 2013.
- Wagner, Bill (September 27, 2012). "Brothers armed for Navy-San Jose clash". Capital Gazette. Retrieved March 3, 2013.
- "David Quessenberry". NFL Draft Scout. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- "David Quessenberry draft profile". NFL. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- McClain, John (September 4, 2013). "David Quessenberry out for season with broken foot". Ultimate Texans. Chron.com. Retrieved September 29, 2013.
- "Houston Texans Transactions: Week ending September 15, 2013". NFL. Retrieved September 29, 2013.