David R. Nygren
David R. Nygren
|Born||December 30, 1938(age 81)|
|Alma mater||B.A. Whitman College (1960), Ph.D. University of Washington (1967)|
|Known for||Invention of Time projection chamber|
|Awards||E. O. Lawrence Award (1985) |
Panofsky Prize (1998)
IEEE Marie Sklodowska-Curie Award (2018)
|Institutions||University of Texas, Arlington, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, University of California, Berkeley|
David Robert Nygren (born December 30, 1938) is a particle physicist known for his invention of the time projection chamber. He is a Presidential Distinguished Professor of Physics, University of Texas at Arlington now. He has worked at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory since 1973. He has been called "the most distinguished developer of particle detection instruments in the country".
Honors and awards
- 2018 - IEEE Marie Sklodowska-Curie Award 
- 2015 - APS Division of Particles and Fields Instrumentation Award 
- 2015 - Aldo Menzione award from Frontier Detectors for Frontier Physics Society awarded at 13th Pisa Meeting on Advanced Detectors
- 2015 - Fellow of the National Academy of Inventors 
- 2013 - Lifetime Achievement Award from Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- 2008 - Honorary doctorate, Stockholm University
- 2000 - Member, National Academy of Sciences
- 1998 - W.K.H. Panofsky Prize in Experimental Particle Physics
- 1995 - Distinguished Scientist at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- 1985 - Ernest Orlando Lawrence Award
- "The Ernest Orlando Lawrence Award: 1980's Laureates". Department of Energy. Retrieved August 18, 2007.
David R. Nygren, 1985: Physics: For the development of experimental techniques in particle physics and especially for the invention of the Time Projection Chamber.
- Kolb, Ron (December 15, 1995). "Nygren, Poskanzer and Stephens Named Distinguished Scientists by Berkeley Lab". Department of Energy. Retrieved August 18, 2007.
- "1998 W.K.H. Panofsky Prize in Experimental Particle Physics Recipient". American Physical Society. Retrieved August 18, 2007.
- University of Texas at Arlington, ed. (September 7, 2017). "UTA's David Nygren receives Marie Sklodowska-Curie award". Retrieved June 7, 2019.
- "Faces & Places: Nygren, Radeka, and Witten receive new awards from the American Physical Society". CERN Courier. November 13, 2015. Retrieved June 7, 2019.
- "UT Arlington physicist awarded prestigious Aldo Menzione Prize for Time Projection Chamber". Retrieved July 7, 2015.
- "National Academy of Inventors names three UTA top researchers as Fellows". uta.edu. December 17, 2015. Retrieved June 7, 2019.
- Weiner, Jon (May 30, 2013). "Berkeley Lab Announces Director's Awards: Physicist, Big Data Expert Recognized for Lifetime Achievement". Newsletter. Berkeley Lab. Retrieved April 6, 2014.
- "1998 W.K.H. Panofsky Prize in Experimental Particle Physics Recipient". Retrieved February 22, 2019.
- Interview with Alexandro Bettini in Jot Down Magazine, September, 2012
- "David R. Nygren". Physics History Network, AIP.
|This article about an American physicist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|